CHICAGO — The University of Chicago men's tennis team will compete in the NCAA Division III Championship quarterfinals on Monday, May 20 in Kalamazoo, Mich. The semifinal matches will take place on May 21, with the finals on May 22. The NCAA individual singles and doubles brackets will then begin on Friday, May 24 and continue over the weekend.
Monday, May 20
- University of Chicago vs. Amherst College, 2:00 PM (ET)
- Claremont-Mudd-Scripps vs. Bowdoin College, 2:00 PM (ET)
- Emory University vs. Washington University-St. Louis, 4:30 PM (ET)
- Middlebury College vs. Wesleyan University, 4:30 PM (ET)
Tuesday, May 21
- NCAA semifinals, 2:00 PM and 4:30 PM (EDT)
Wednesday, May 22
- NCAA championship match, 3:00 PM (EDT)
#2 UChicago Maroons
- Season record: 19-2 overall / 2-1 University Athletic Association (UAA)
- NCAA appearances: 7
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Semifinals (2018)
- Notes: A doubles sweep propelled UChicago to a 5-2 win over #16 Gustavus Adolphus College in the regional final, earning the team's fourth quarterfinal berth in the last five years … The Maroons reached the NCAA semifinals in 2015, 2016, and 2018, with a loss to Bowdoin ending their most recent postseason run … UChicago landed an at-large bid after finishing third in the UAA with a 5-1 win over Washington-St. Louis … The No. 1 doubles pairing of Erik Kerrigan and Ninan Kumar claimed First Team All-UAA honors with a 22-7 record. They are currently riding an 11-match winning streak … With a 20-8 record, sophomore Jeremy Yuan was named to the All-UAA First Team in singles … Senior Charlie Pei and first-year Joshua Xu were recognized on the All-UAA Second Team for singles and as a doubles pairing … In addition, Xu was named UAA Co-Rookie of the Year … First-year Alex Guzhva was also an All-UAA Second Team singles selection … Kerrigan and Kumar will continue their campaign at the NCAA doubles tournament … Kerrigan and Yuan both qualified for the NCAA singles bracket … UChicago compiled a 12-2 record against ranked teams this season, with losses coming 6-3 on the road to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps and 5-3 to No. 10 Brandeis University in the UAA semifinals … The Maroons defeated fellow quarterfinalists Emory in the championship match at the ITA Indoor Nationals and have bested Washington-St. Louis each of the three times they have met, twice by 5-4 margins.
#4 Amherst Mammoths
- Season record: 18-4 overall / 7-1 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC)
- NCAA appearances: 20
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Third Round (2018)
- Notes: Amherst is making its 20th trip to the NCAA postseason and earned a first-round bye for the 13th-consecutive year … The Mammoths were the top seed in the NESCAC tournament but qualified with an at-large bid after a 5-3 loss to Middlebury in the conference finals … This is their first quarterfinal appearance since 2015, when they lost 5-4 to UChicago … Last season Amherst fell 5-2 in the regional final to Williams … Sophomore Sean Wei claimed a First Team All-NESCAC place in singles and won a spot on the Second Team alongside junior Jayson Fung for doubles … Wei also qualified for the NCAA singles tournament … The No. 2 doubles pairing of senior Zach Bessette and first-year Harris Foulkes posted an 11-1 record … The Mammoths went 4-3 in seven matches against this year's quarterfinalists, including a 5-4 victory over otherwise unbeaten Claremont-Mudd-Scripps… They beat Bowdoin twice, split with Middlebury, and lost to Wesleyan and Washington-St. Louis … Amherst won national championships in 2011 and 2014.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Stags
- Season record: 31-1 / 7-0 Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC)
- NCAA appearances: 32
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached Quarterfinals (2018)
- Notes: This marks the tenth year in a row that the Stags have reached the quarterfinals … Claremont-Mudd-Scripps won its second national title in 2015 and has finished as the runner-up on three other occasions during its current run, most recently against Emory in 2017 … The program captured its 14th consecutive SCIAC title to qualify and have not lost in conference play since 2005, a 133-match winning streak … The Stags beat #13 Trinity (Texas) to advance from regionals … Last year they fell to UChicago 5-2 in the quarterfinals … The squad's only loss this season came by a 5-4 margin against Amherst … Claremont-Mudd-Scripps has defeated four other quarterfinalists this spring, winning 5-4 against Middlebury and Wesleyan, 6-3 against UChicago, and 7-2 against upcoming opponents Bowdoin … Junior Nikolai Parodi was voted the SCIAC Player of the Year for the third straight season … Freshman Nic Meister garnered SCIAC Newcomer of the Year honors with an 18-2 record in his rookie campaign … Sophomore Jack Katzman, a First Team All-SCIAC selection, went a perfect 20-0 in dual matches in the top two spots … Senior Julian Gordy also got a First Team nod … Katzman and Parodi will compete in NCAA singles, while Parodi and Gordy will team up for the doubles tournament.
#8 Bowdoin Polar Bears
- Season record: 18-4 / 7-2 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC)
- NCAA appearances: 19
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Final (2018)
- Notes: The Polar Bears fell 5-3 to Middlebury in last year's national championship match after 5-0 wins over Washington-St. Louis and UChicago in the quarterfinals and semifinals … They also reached the semifinals in 2017, losing to Emory, and won a national title in 2016 … Bowdoin has gone 1-4 against other quarterfinalists this season, with a 6-3 win over Wesleyan and 5-4 regular-season losses to Amherst and Middlebury, as well as a 7-2 defeat against quarterfinal opponent Claremont-Mudd-Scripps … The Polar Bears beat #9 Williams in the NESCAC tournament before falling 5-3 against top seed Amherst in the conference semifinals … Senior Grant Urken was named the NESCAC Player of the Year … His fellow senior Jerry Jiang also earned First Team All-NESCAC recognition in singles, and the two claimed First Team honors together in doubles … Urken is the defending champion of the NCAA singles tournament and will compete this year, as will Jiang … The duo also qualified for the doubles bracket.
#3 Emory Eagles
- Season record: 19-2 / 2-0 University Athletic Association (UAA)
- NCAA appearances: 33
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached Seminfinals (2018)
- Notes: The Eagles will compete in the quarterfinals for the 22nd consecutive season … They captured a 27th UAA championship with a 5-1 defeat of Brandeis … It was Emory's fourth conference title in the last five years, the exception coming when UChicago wrangled it away in 2018 … The Eagles have won four national championships, most recently in 2017 … Last year they lost 5-3 to Middlebury in the semifinals, but defeated the Panthers 6-3 earlier this season … Seniors Adrien Bouchet (21-3) and Jonathan Jemison (20-4) won First Team All-UAA accolades in singles and teamed up for a 25-5 record that landed them on the First Team for doubles as well … Freshman Antonio Mora earned a place on the All-UAA Second Team in his rookie campaign … Bouchet, Jemison, and sophomore Hayden Cassone qualified for the NCAA singles competition, while Bouchet and Jemison will also compete as doubles pairing … UChicago handed Emory its only Division III defeat of the season with a 5-3 result in the finals of the ITA National Indoor Championship … The Eagles beat quarterfinal opponents Washington-St. Louis 5-3 when they met in the UAA semifinals.
#7 Washington - St. Louis Bears
- Season record: 19-7 / 1-2 University Athletic Association (UAA)
- NCAA appearances: 21
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Quarterfinals (2018)
- Notes: The Bears dispatched #27 Kalamazoo to advance to the quarterfinals for the 13th season in a row … All of their Division III losses this season have come against other quarterfinalists (Emory, Wesleyan, and UChicago), while they boast victories over five other ranked teams including Amherst … UAA Player of the Year Ethan Hillis, a sophomore, leads the way with a 25-5 record … Hillis and fellow sophomore Benjamin van der Sman paired up to earn a Second Team All-UAA selection in doubles … Hillis and junior Bernando Neves claimed berths in the NCAA singles bracket … In the doubles competition Neves will compete alongside senior Konrad Kozlowski … Last season the Bears were eliminated by Bowdoin in the quarterfinal round … Washington-St. Louis is making its 20th consecutive tournament appearance, with an overall postseason record of 46-24 and a national title in 2008.
#6 Middlebury Panthers
- Season record: 18-6 / 6-2 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC)
- NCAA appearances: 18
- Last NCAA appearance: National Champions (2018)
- Notes: The defending NCAA champions earned the 2018 title with a 5-3 victory over Bowdoin … This year the Panthers took home the NESCAC crown after besting top seed Amherst 5-1 in the championship match and downing quarterfinal foe Wesleyan 5-3 in the conference semifinals … This is their seventh straight quarterfinal appearance … Middlebury has advanced to the national semifinals in 12 of the past 16 years and have won three national championships … Senior Lubomir Cuba won a place on the All-NESCAC First Team for singles and a Second Team doubles spot alongside classmate Peter Martin … Another senior, Noah Farrell, claimed Second Team All-NESCAC honors in singles … Middlebury owns a 3-4 record against its fellow quarterfinalists, having lost to Emory and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, beaten Bowdoin, and split its encounters with Wesleyan and Amherst … Farrell and Cuba qualified for the NCAA singles competition … Cuba captured the individual singles title in 2017 and has won back-to-back doubles championships.
#5 Wesleyan Cardinals
- Season record: 16-4 overall / 7-2 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC)
- NCAA appearances: 2
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Quarterfinals (2017)
- Notes: The Cardinals defeated #11 Kenyon 5-2 to advance to the quarterfinals for the second time in past three years … Those two postseason runs are the only NCAA tournament appearances in program history … The 2017 campaign ended with a loss to Claremont-Mudd-Scripps … This year Wesleyan dropped a 5-3 decision to eventual winners Middlebury in the NESCAC semifinals after besting the Panthers, who they will face yet again, by a 6-3 margin in the regular season … The Cardinals also notched wins over quarterfinalists Amherst and Washington-St. Louis, while they fell 6-3 to Bowdoin and 5-4 to CMS … First-year Noah Lilienthal was voted NESCAC Rookie of the Year and won a place on the All-NESCAC Second Team for singles after posting a 13-2 record … Together, Lilienthal and sophomore Adrian Roji earned First Team accolades in doubles … Sophomore Andrew Finkelman was a First Team honoree for his play at No. 1 singles and No. 3 doubles … Finkelman qualified for the NCAA singles competition, as did Lilienthal and Roji in doubles.