CHICAGO – In their first competition of 2020, the University of Chicago tennis teams fired on all cylinders in a pair of victories against Lewis University on Saturday.
Entering the action, the Maroons men ranked No. 4 and the women ranked No. 8 in the national preseason poll by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA). Their first opponent of the new year was NCAA Division II school Lewis University.
UChicago's women made quick work of the Flyers, sweeping through all three doubles spots without allowing more than four games. All six singles bouts were taken in straight sets, with four matches featuring only three or fewer games surrendered, for a final score of 9-0. Multi winners included first-year Perene Wang, first-year Claudia Ng, sophomore Lauren Park and junior Catherine Xu.
On the men's side, the Maroons were nearly as efficient, ultimately triumphing 8-1. All three doubles bouts and five of six singles matches went to the hosts. A pair of matches went to three sets, with junior Alejandro Rodriguez rallying back 2-6, 6-1, 11-9 at No. 4 singles. Sophomore Alex Guzhva and first-year Bailey Forgus both posted 6-0, 6-0 shutouts at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively. Junior Jeremy Yuan and first-year Sachin Das won in both singles and doubles play.
"The energy in doubles from both teams today was electric and it really showed in the scores," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We took control of the matches in the first few games and continued it through the end of singles. Before the match, we talked about not trying to be perfect but instead to stay positive and connected with each other, and I think we accomplished those goals. It's only one match, but it's a great first step for us as we begin the season."
WOMEN: UChicago 9, Lewis 0
1. Lauren Park (UC) def. Alek Sredojevic (LEWIS) 6-4, 6-2
2. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Tereza Pilzova (LEWIS) 6-4, 7-5
3. Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Joie Reisch (LEWIS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Claudia Ng (UC) def. Jovana Vujanic (LEWIS) 6-2, 6-1
5. Perene Wang (UC) def. Sophie Davis (LEWIS) 6-0, 6-1
6. Amanda Sharng (UC) def. Agnes Florcyzk (LEWIS) 6-1, 6-1
1. Perene Wang/Claudia Ng (UC) def. Alek Sredojevic/Joie Reisch (LEWIS) 8-1
2. Lauren Park/Catherine Xu (UC) def. Tereza Pilzova/Sophie Davis (LEWIS) 8-4
3. Eugenia Lee/Brigitte Wu (UC) def. Jovana Vujanic/Agnes Florcyzk (LEWIS) 8-2
MEN: UChicago 8, Lewis 1
1. Juan Ramirez Meija (LEWIS) def. Erik Kerrigan (UC) 6-2, 1-6, 6-0
2. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Oskar Lusti (LEWIS) 7-6 (10-8), 6-3
3. Sachin Das (UC) def. David Ambrozic (LEWIS) 6-4, 6-1
4. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Pedja Trifunovic (LEWIS) 2-6, 6-1, 11-9
5. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Jeremy Charles (LEWIS) 6-0, 6-0
6. Bailey Forgus (UC) def. Jonathan Maghirang (LEWIS) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ninan Kumar/Tyler Raclin (UC) def. Juan Ramirez Meija/David Ambrozic (LEWIS) 8-6
2. Erik Kerrigan/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Oskar Lusti/Pedja Trifunovic (LEWIS) 8-1
3. Sachin Das/Julius Kim (UC) def. Jeremy Charles/Jonathan Maghirang (LEWIS) 8-2
- MEN: Friday, Jan. 31 – Augustana College at UChicago (at XS Tennis)
- WOMEN: Thursday, Feb. 6 @ 6:00 PM – DePauw at UChicago (at XS Tennis