GRIFFITH, Ind. – In a rematch from the NCAA postseason, the University of Chicago men's tennis team excelled once again on Friday night with a handy 8-1 victory against Augustana College.
The No. 4-ranked Maroons moved to 2-0 while the Vikings fell to 2-1.
UChicago and Augustana met previously in the second round of the NCAA Division III Championship on May 11. The Maroons moved through quickly 5-0 in that contest.
Friday evening's bout was played at Match Point Tennis & Fitness Club in Griffith, Ind. Similar to the last outing, UChicago swept right through doubles by scores of 8-5, 8-2 and 8-0. Augustana managed to earn a team point at No. 1 singles, but the Maroons snagged the remaining five singles matches in straight sets. Sophomore Alex Guzhva shut out his opponent 6-0, 6-0 at No. 6 while junior Alejandro Rodriguez only surrendered one game at No. 5 (6-1, 6-0).
UChicago 8, Augustana 1
1. Caio DeRezende (AUG) def. Erik Kerrigan (UC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Peter Alex (AUG) 6-3, 7-5
3. Joshua Xu (UC) def. Sriram Sugumaran (AUG) 6-2, 6-3
4. Sachin Das (UC) def. Leonardo Panosso (AUG) 6-1, 6-1
5. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Justin Cassens (AUG) 6-1, 6-0
6. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Scott Daluga (AUG) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ninan Kumar/Tyler Raclin (UC) def. Sriram Sugumaran/Peter Alex (AUG) 8-5
2. Erik Kerrigan/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Leonardo Panosso/Kyle Boudreau (AUG) 8-2
3. Sachin Das/Joshua Xu (UC) def. Caio DeRezende/Scott Daluga (AUG) 8-0
- Thursday, Feb. 6 @ 7:30 PM – DePauw University vs. UChicago