ST. PETER, Minn. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team closed out action at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III National Team Indoor Championship by capturing third place over Brandeis University 6-3 on Sunday.
The No. 4-ranked Maroons improved to 6-1 on the season while the No. 8-ranked Judges fell to 2-2.
Playing a team ranked in the top 11 in the nation for the third-consecutive day, the Maroons came out of doubles facing a 2-1 deficit. All three doubles matches were close 8-6 affairs, with the first UChicago point provided by senior Erik Kerrigan and junior Jeremy Yuan at the No. 1 position.
Singles is where UChicago turned the tables. Sophomore Alex Guzhva breezed through his No. 5 opponent (6-0, 6-2) and he was followed by first-year Sachin Das at No. 3 (6-3, 6-2). At No. 6, first-year Bailey Forgus also won in straight sets 7-5, 6-4.
Brandeis picked up another point with a win at No. 2 to make the team score 4-3 in favor of UChicago. Two matches went the distance with sophomore Joshua Xu at No. 1 and Yuan at No. 4. Both Maroons dropped the opening set, only to rally to force deciding third sets. Xu had a dramatic conclusion as he was down to his final points trailing 5-2. However, the sophomore rose to the occasion, reeling off five-straight games to win the match 4-6, 6-1, 7-5 and clinch the team victory. Yuan triumphed shortly after by a 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 score line.
"Our guys really battled hard all weekend and today was no different," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We found ourselves in multiple deficits throughout the last three days, but did a great job of continuing the fight and not giving in. We played three really, really good teams and even though we might not have played our best, I thought we kept giving ourselves chances and eventually broke through in some big spots by not giving in and rising to the occasion. I'm incredibly proud of this group and feel great about the direction we are headed."
UChicago 6, Brandeis 3
1. Joshua Xu (UC) def. David Aizenberg (BR) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Anupreeth Coramutla (BR) def. Erik Kerrigan (UC) 7-5, 6-2
3. Sachin Das (UC) def. Adam Tzeng (BR) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Jeff Chen (BR) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
5. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Nikhil Das (BR) 6-0, 6-2
6. Bailey Forgus (UC) def. Nico Ramirez (BR) 7-5, 6-4
1. Erik Kerrigan/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. David Aizenberg/Anupreeth Coramutla (BR) 8-6
2. Adam Tzeng/Jeff Chen (BR) def. Sachin Das/Joshua Xu (UC) 8-6
3. Colt Tegtmeier/Rajan Vohra (BR) def. Tyler Raclin/Julius Kim (UC) 8-6
- Saturday, Feb. 29 @ 12:00 PM – UChicago at Cardinal Stritch University