Maroon Women’s Basketball Rallies Past Trine 79-70 in Overtime

Mia Farrell
Mia Farrell

CHICAGO – Down 13 in the fourth quarter, the University of Chicago women's basketball team mounted a furious rally to tie the game in the final ticks to force overtime against Trine University. Once overtime arrived, the home team took over en route to a 79-70 triumph.

The No. 18-ranked Maroons improved to 3-2. The No. 11-ranked Thunder fell to 2-2.

The opening quarter turned into a track meet right off the bat. Trine could not miss from the field and hit every open shot, as they tallied 23 points on 10-for-11 shooting. The visitors were able to utilize crisp passing to foil UChicago's swarming strong-side defense. However, the Maroons were able to keep pace thanks to hitting six three-pointers in the quarter. Senior guard Mia Farrell was the main threat by hitting all three of her long-distance jumpers.

The breakneck pace began to slow a bit in the second quarter as both teams came back to earth. Each side shot 33 percent in the period. Trine's stout man defense limited the home side to 11 points and the halftime score stood at 38-33 in favor of the Thunder.

Trine kept pounding the ball into the paint at every opportunity, as imposing center Kelsy Taylor scored 11 points in the third quarter herself. By the time the fourth quarter got underway, UChicago appeared to be in dire straits, trailing 59-46 with nine minutes left in the game.

But the urgency was felt and responded to by the Maroon side. Three-pointers by sophomore guard Grace Hynes and senior guard Miranda Burt chopped the deficit down to 61-55. Down the stretch, UChicago turned to Farrell, who delivered multiple times with smooth pull-up jumpers from the elbow. With 1:35 left in the game, UChicago trailed by only two points at 67-65.

After both sides exchanged one made free throw apiece, UChicago was denied on a drive to the basket with six seconds left. However, Trine missed both free throws to keep the dream alive. Farrell drove again to the basket with purpose and drew a foul with 1.5 seconds left in the game. The senior coolly stepped to the free throw line and sank both shots to send the game to overtime knotted at 68-68.

The Maroons owned overtime, scoring on three-consecutive possession midway through to go up five points. Trine only managed two points in the extra period and UChicago sent the vocal crowd home happy.

Farrell was the hero of the night with a season-high 25 points. Hynes and Burt contributed 13 and 12 points, respectively. Sophomore forward Klaire Steffens hauled in a career-best 13 rebounds, including nine offensive boards.

In the final stats, UChicago converted 46.4 percent from the field, 47.4 percent on three-pointers (9-19) and 64.3 percent on free throws (18-28). Trine cooled off to shoot 43.3 percent on field goals and 27.8 percent from deep (5-18).

UChicago won the rebounding battle 40-30. Each team turned the ball over 21 times.


  • Sunday, Nov. 24 @ 2:00 PM – Kenyon College at UChicago