MEQUON, Wis. – Buoyed by podium finishes from six wrestlers, University of Chicago wrestling submitted a standout team performance at the 26th-annual Concordia University (Wis.) Open on Saturday.
First-year Cole Riemer and junior Steve Bonsall each took runner-up in their respective brackets. Riemer went 3-1 at 149 pounds with two major decisions and a pin, while Bonsall similarly went 3-1 at 157 pounds.
At 174 pounds, junior Kyle Peisker took third place. He was tied for the most wins on the day for the Maroons with a 5-1 mark.
Junior Kahlan Lee-Lermer grabbed fifth place at 165 pounds, going 3-2 with two pins. First-year Ben Sarasin snagged fifth at 174 pounds at 4-2. Sophomore heavyweight Will Hare was 3-3 on the day and took sixth in his bracket.
Other Top Finishers:
- Nick Ferraro (Sr., 184 pounds) – 5-1 record with three pins
- Will Britain (So., 165 pounds) – 4-2 record
- Patrick Mulkerin (Sr., 285 pounds) – 3-2 record with three pins
- Maguire Pecci (Fr., 149 pounds) – 3-2 record
- Chaise Hauck (So., 149 pounds) – 3-2 record
- David Traub (Fr., 125 pounds) – 2-2 record
"This tournament is very tough," said Head Coach Leo Kocher. "Not only did the six wrestlers that placed perform, but several guys in the consolation bracket had some great runs. Nick Ferraro lost a 7-5 match to the eventual runner-up and then rattled off four dominating wins to finish off the consolation bracket. Pecci and Britain had some strong consolation performances as well. This was our strongest Concordia tourney performance in the last decade."
- Saturday, Dec. 1 @ 9:00 AM – UChicago at MSOE Invitational