ATLANTA, Ga. – Two event wins, three conference records and four school records highlighted day three of the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championships for the University of Chicago swimming and diving teams on Friday.
Emory University and UChicago are currently tied at the top of the men's standings with 1,054 points. For the women, Emory is first with 1,385 points and UChicago is third with 806 points.
Junior Thomas Meek had a banner day, winning the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 1:38.89. That time set a new school and conference record while also counting as a NCAA B cut mark. Meek was also the second leg of the 800-yard freestyle relay, which won in a conference-record time of 6:41.95. The foursome of sophomore Jonas Fowler, Meek, sophomore Jonathan Simoneau and junior Matthew Veldman beat the competition by 3.27 seconds.
Before the night's final relay, Veldman set a new school record of his own in the 100-yard butterfly. The junior was runner-up in 48.66 and achieved a NCAA B cut. Senior diver Matthew Staab posted a huge score of 579.65 in the three-meter dive prelims to break the school and UAA record. He finished in third place in the final (529.25) while senior teammate Anthony Restaino was in second place with 533.85 points.
Sophomore Alison Wall led the women's efforts with a school record in the 200-yard freestyle prelims, recording a mark of 1:51.38. The Maroons finished in third place in a trio of events, including freshman Melissa Bischoff in the 100-yard backstroke (57.22), the 200-yard medley relay (1:45.22) and the 800-yard freestyle relay (7:37.54).
In total, UChicago recorded 25 NCAA B cuts on the day:
- Thomas Meek – 200-yard freestyle (1:38.89)
- Matthew Veldman – 100-yard butterfly (48.66); 200-yard freestyle in 800-yard freestyle relay (1:40.45)
- Matthew Staab – three-meter dive prelims (579.65)
- Anthony Restaino – three-meter dive (533.85)
- Kevin Steffes – three-meter dive (508.90)
- Dean Boures – three-meter dive (437.50)
- Jeremy Estes – 100-yard butterfly prelims (49.11); 100-yard backstroke prelims (51.21)
- Jonas Folwer – 400-yard IM (4:05.32); 200-yard freestyle in 800-yard freestyle relay (1:40.97)
- Kevin Ku – 400-yard IM (4:06.59)
- Robert Kunkel – 100-yard butterfly (49.87)
- Andrew Angeles – 100-yard breaststroke prelims (56.46)
- James Taylor – 100-year breaststroke (56.94)
- Men's 800-yard freestyle relay (6:41.95)
- Men's 200-yard medley relay (1:30.44)
- Alison Wall – 200-yard freestyle prelims (1:51.38)
- Megan Wall – 400-yard IM prelims (4:30.04)
- Ciara Hu – 400-yard IM prelims (4:31.55)
- Jennifer Hill – 100-yard breaststroke prelims (1:05.27)
- Melissa Bischoff – 100-yard backstroke prelims (56.35)
- Abby Erdmann – 100-yard butterfly (56.55)
- Women's 800-yard freestyle relay (7:37.54)
- Women's 200-yard medley relay (1:45.22)
UChicago Top Finishers (Men)
200-yard freestyle – Thomas Meek (1st, 1:38.89)
800-yard freestyle relay – 1st, 6:41.95 (Jonas Fowler, Thomas Meek, Jonathan Simoneau, Matthew Veldman)
Three-meter dive – Anthony Restaino (2nd, 533.85); Matthew Staab (3rd, 529.25); Kevin Steffes (4th, 508.90)
100-yard butterfly – Matthew Veldman (2nd, 48.66); Jeremy Estes (5th, 49.55)
200-yard medley relay – 2nd, 1:30.44 (Mantim Lee, James Taylor, Jeremy Estes, Jonathan Simoneau)
UChicago Top Finishers (Women)
100-yard backstroke – Melissa Bischoff (3rd, 57.22); Khia Kurtenbach (4th, 58.30)
200-yard medley relay – 3rd, 1:45.22 (Melissa Bischoff, Jennifer Hill, Abby Erdmann, Jessie Ho)
800-yard freestyle relay – 3rd, 7:37.54 (Karen Chu, Maya Scheidl, Cara LoPiano, Alison Wall)
200-yard freestyle – Alison Wall (5th, 1:51.40)
- Saturday, February 14 – UChicago at UAA Championships (Atlanta, Ga.), 10 AM / 5:30 PM (ET)