ATLANTA, Ga. – The University of Chicago men's swimming and diving team finished in second place and the women's squad took third place at the conclusion of the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championships on Saturday.
Emory's men won their 17th conference title with 1,551 points in the eight-team field, while UChicago was second with 1,408 points. On the women's side, Emory captured its 23rd conference championship with 2,076.5 points and UChicago was third with 1,184 points.
Over the course of the four-day meet, the Maroons won three event titles and totaled 21 All-Conference finishes (top three in an event).
One of those wins came in the final race of the weekend. UChicago's men won the 400-yard freestyle relay and smashed the UAA and school records with a time of 2:59.94. That time beat the previous conference record by 2.11 seconds. The relay members included sophomore Jonathan Simoneau, junior Thomas Meek, sophomore Jeremy Estes and junior Matthew Veldman.
Meek nearly added another win of his own in the 100-yard freestyle. The junior took second place with a school-record time of 44.90 and finished only 0.05 seconds behind the leader. Junior James Taylor also earned All-UAA status in the 200-yard breaststroke, placing third in a time of 2:02.94.
The Maroon women posted All-UAA performances in four of Saturday's events. Sophomore Alison Wall (2:02.02) and freshman Khia Kurtenbach (2:02.70) finished neck-and-neck in the 200-yard backstroke to capture second and third place, respectively.
Sophomore Abby Erdmann was runner-up in the 200-yard butterfly and recorded a mark of 2:04.34. The 400-yard freestyle relay finished third in 3:27.62 with relay members sophomore Maya Scheidl, senior Jennifer Hill, junior Jen Law and Alison Wall.
UChicago finished Saturday with 15 more NCAA B cut marks:
- Cara LoPiano – 1,650-yard freestyle (17:21.27)
- Alison Wall – 200-yard backstroke prelims (2:01.60)
- Khia Kurtenbach – 200-yard backstroke (2:02.70)
- Alex Lin – 200-yard backstroke prelims (1:51.96)
- Thomas Meek – 100-yard freestyle (44.90)
- Matt Veldman – 100-yard freestyle (45.62)
- Jennifer Hill – 200-yard breaststroke (2:22.38)
- James Taylor – 200-yard breaststroke (2:02.94)
- Andrew Angeles – 200-yard breaststroke (2:03.12)
- Rolland Lee – 200-yard breaststroke (2:04.92)
- Abby Erdmann – 200-yard butterfly (2:04.34)
- Kevin Ku – 200-yard butterfly (1:52.19)
- Maya Scheidl – 100-yard freestyle, leading off 400-yard freestyle relay (51.81)
- Women's 400-yard freestyle relay (3:27.62)
- Men's 400-yard freestyle relay (2:59.94)
UChicago Top Finishers (Men)
400-yard freestyle relay – 1st, 2:59.94 (Jonathan Simoneau, Thomas Meek, Jeremy Estes, Matthew Veldman)
100-yard freestyle – Thomas Meek (2nd, 44.90)
200-yard breaststroke – James Taylor (3rd, 2:02.94); Andrew Angeles (4th, 2:03.12)
200-yard butterfly – Kevin Ku (4th, 1:52.19)
200-yard backstroke – Alex Lin (5th, 1:52.80)
UChicago Top Finishers (Women)
200-yard backstroke – Alison Wall (2nd, 2:02.02); Khia Kurtenbach (3rd, 2:02.70)
200-yard butterfly – Abby Erdmann (2nd, 2:04.34)
400-yard freestyle relay – 3rd, 3:27.62 (Maya Scheidl, Jennifer Hill, Jen Law, Alison Wall)
200-yard breaststroke – Jennifer Hill (4th, 2:22.38)
1,650-yard freestyle – Cara LoPiano (4th, 17:21.27)
One-meter dive – Natalie DeMuro (4th, 384.50)
- Friday-Saturday, February 20-21 – UChicago Midwest Invitational