CHICAGO – The University of Chicago swimming and diving teams posted several dozen noteworthy performances over the weekend and handily won the Phoenix Fall Classic on Sunday.
The Maroon men topped the eight-team field with a team score of 1,168 points, with IIT coming in second with 423 points. The UChicago women took first place with 1,124 points as Hillsdale College was runner-up with 632.5 points.
Between both the men's and women's teams, the Maroons totaled 31 event victories over the three-day meet. They also combined to break three school records and record 28 NCAA B-cuts.
Sunday's action featured 12 UChicago wins in 16 events. Three Maroon men were multiple winners – senior Thomas Meek, freshman Winston Wang and freshman Alexander Farrell. The trio swam legs on the winning 400-yard freestyle relay (3:04.34) in the final race of the night. Earlier in the day, Meek won both the 100-yard butterfly (50.40) and the 50-yard freestyle (20.52). Wang was victorious in the 100-yard backstroke in 50.82 and Farrell took the 200-yard freestyle in 1:41.54.
On the women's side, junior Alison Wall and freshman Daria Wick secured multiple victories. The two swimmers were part of the 400-yard freestyle relay that recorded the top time of 3:32.98. Individually, Wall won the 200-yard freestyle (1:52.55) and Wick won the 100-yard butterfly (57.67).
Previously on the weekend, freshman Michael Todd set new school records in the 1,000-yard freestyle (9:41.07) and 1,650-yard freestyle (16:10.58). Sophomore Alex Lin broke the school record in the 200-yard backstroke in 1:50.93.
UChicago Top Finishers (Men)
100-yard butterfly – Thomas Meek (1st, 50.40)
50-yard freestyle – Thomas Meek (1st, 20.52)
100-yard backstroke – Winston Wang (1st, 50.82)
200-yard freestyle – Alexander Farrell (1st, 1:41.54)
200-yard breaststroke – Keenan Novis (1st, 2:07.97)
400-yard IM – Kevin Ku (1st, 4:06.81)
400-yard freestyle relay – 1st, 3:04.34 (Alexander Farrell, Thomas Meek, Jonathan Simoneau, Winston Wang)
UChicago Top Finishers (Women)
200-yard freestyle – Alison Wall (1st, 1:52.55)
100-yard butterfly – Daria Wick (1st, 57.67)
400-yard IM – Ciara Hu (1st, 4:31.60)
100-yard backstroke – Melissa Bischoff (1st, 56.76)
400-yard freestyle relay – 1st, 3:32.98 (Naomy Grand'Pierre, Alison Wall, Maya Scheidl, Daria Wick)
UChicago NCAA B-cut Performances
- Men's 200-yard freestyle relay
- Men's 400-yard medley relay
- Men's 200-yard medley relay
- Women's 800-yard freestyle relay
- Men's 400-yard freestyle relay
- Alison Wall – 100-yard backstroke (leading off 400-yard medley relay), 200-yard backstroke, 200-yard free
- Mike Todd – 1,650-yard freestyle, 200-yard butterfly
- Thomas Meek – 100-yard freestyle, 50-yard freestyle
- Alexander Farrell – 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle (leading off 400-yard freestyle relay)
- Ciara Hu – 200-yard butterfly, 400-yard IM
- Anna Girlich – 1-meter dive, 3-meter dive
- Natalie DeMuro – 1-meter dive
- Alex Lin – 200-yard backstroke
- Karen Chu – 1,650-yard freestyle
- Cara LoPiano – 1,650-yard freestyle
- Megan Wall – 400-yard IM
- Kevin Ku – 400-yard IM
- Simone Stover – 400-yard IM
- Melissa Bischoff – 100-yard backstroke
- Winston Wang – 100-yard backstroke
- Maya Scheidl – 100-yard freestyle
- Saturday, January 9 – Lewis University and Olivet Nazarene University at UChicago, 1 PM