MILWAUKEE, Wis. – In its first team action of the year, the No. 12-ranked University of Chicago women's tennis team narrowly lost 4-3 at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Sunday.
The Maroons dropped to 0-1 and the NCAA Division I opponent Panthers improved to 1-3.
Wisconsin-Milwaukee emerged with the doubles point after taking two of three matches. UChicago's No. 2 doubles team of sophomore Tiffany Chen and freshman Courtney Warren got an 8-4 win. In singles action, the teams split the six singles matches to give the Panthers a one-point victory. The Maroons won the No. 2-4 spots with freshman Ariana Iranpour, Chen and freshman Jasmine Lee.
"We played a really tough match but fell just a bit short at the end," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We did a great job of coming out ready to play and had Milwaukee on the ropes, but couldn't land the knockout punch. I was really pleased with the way we competed against a team that won their conference last year, especially our underclassmen who picked up some big wins."
Wisconsin-Milwaukee 4, UChicago 3
1. Bailey (UWM) def. Megan Tang (UC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
2. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Straub (UWM) 6-3, 6-4
3. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Shannon (UWM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Colarossi (UWM) 7-5, 6-2
5. Merar (UWM) def. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
6. Marshall (UWM) def. Courtney Warren (UC) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
1. Straub/Colarossi (UWM) def. Tang/Iranpour (UC) 8-5
2. Chen/Warren (UC) def. Bailey/Marshall (UWM) 8-4
3. Merar/Shannon (UWM) def. J. Lee/Ramaswami (UC) 8-3
- Friday, February 6 – UChicago vs. Denison University (Cleveland, Ohio), 6 PM (ET)