WESTLAKE, Ohio – In the first of its four weekend matches, the University of Chicago women's tennis team began by defeating Denison University 7-2 on Friday.
The No. 12-ranked Maroons and the No. 28-ranked Big Red are now both 1-1 on the year.
UChicago started by taking two of three doubles. In singles action, the two teams went to three sets in three different matches. However, the Maroons came out on top twice in the decisive third sets to take five of six singles overall. Senior Megan Tang, freshman Ariana Iranpour and freshman Courtney Warren won both in singles and doubles.
"This was a hard-fought win that we were fortunate to pull out," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We had some great individual efforts in some key moments that led to the victory. Denison did a great job of limiting their errors and forcing us to win the point on their terms, which gave us trouble at first. As we settled in and found our groove, we were able to stay in the points long enough to force an error or hit a winner. We are looking forward to using what we learned today when we take on Case tomorrow."
UChicago 7, Denison 2
1. Megan Tang (UC) def. Taylor Hawkins (DEN) 7-5, 6-4
2. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Courtney Brown (DEN) 6-1, 6-3
3. Rochell Issa (DEN) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 0-6, 7-5, 7-5
4. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Emily Holloway (DEN) 6-0, 6-3
5. Kelsey McGillis (UC) def. Carol Vitellas (DEN) 7-6, 4-6, 10-2
6. Courtney Warren (UC) def. Maddie Boster (DEN) 2-6, 6-3, 10-6
1. Megan Tang/Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Taylor Hawkins/Courtney Brown (DEN) 8-6
2. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Meg Chiumento/Rochell Issa (DEN) 8-3
3. Heather Abzug/Emily Holloway (DEN) def. Jasmine Lee/Kelsey McGillis (UC) 8-6
- Saturday, February 7 – UChicago at Case Western Reserve University, 3 PM (ET)