CLEVELAND, Ohio – In a contest that came down to the final match, the University of Chicago women's tennis team lost 5-4 at Case Western Reserve University on Saturday.
The No. 12-ranked Maroons dropped to 1-2 and the No. 23-ranked Spartans improved to 2-1.
After the two sides split the top two doubles matches, Case narrowly held off UChicago in a tiebreaker at No. 3 doubles. With the one point advantage in hand, the Spartans managed to win both singles matches that went to three sets. UChicago won at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4 singles. The Maroons got a pair of victories from senior Megan Tang and freshman Ariana Iranpour.
"Tonight was an absolute heartbreaker," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We had our chances but weren't able to convert. Give Case credit, they played better in the bigger moments and that's why they came out on top. We need to continue to work on our situational tennis and trust ourselves more, which I'm confident we will over the course of the season."
Case 5, UChicago 4
1. Megan Tang (UC) def. Nithya Kanagasegar (CASE) 6-2, 6-4
2. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Sara Zargham (CASE) 6-1, 6-1
3. Marianne Bonanno (CASE) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Michelle Djohan (CASE) 6-1, 6-1
5. Surya Khadilkar (CASE) def. Kelsey McGillis (UC) 6-1, 7-5
6. Sarah Berchuck (CASE) def. Lucy Tang (UC) 2-6, 7-5
1. Megan Tang/Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Nithya Kanagasegar/Sara Zargham (CASE) 8-6
2. Marianne Bonanno/Surya Khadilkar (CASE) def. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) 8-3
3. Michelle Djohan/Sarah Berchuck (CASE) def. Lucy Tang/Kelsey McGillis (UC) 9-8 (10-7)
- Sunday, February 8 – UChicago versus Kenyon College and Oberlin College, 9 AM / 12:30 PM (ET)