PLAINFIELD, Ill. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team delivered throughout the lineup to defeat NCAA Division II opponent Lewis University 6-3 on Saturday.
The No. 12-ranked Maroons improved to 4-2 and the Flyers fell to 0-1.
UChicago took two out of three doubles and then four out of six singles. Lewis won at the No. 1 and 2 singles spots in three sets. The Maroons only surrendered two games combined in the three matches at No. 4, 5 and 6 singles. Freshman Jasmine Lee, sophomore Tiffany Chen and freshman Courtney Warren were all multiple winners on the day in both singles and doubles play. Lee leads the team currently with a six-match win streak in singles.
"Today's win versus Lewis was a great team victory," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We sometimes lean heavily on the top of our lineup to get us points, so it was great to see everyone contribute and take the pressure off the top. The thing I like about this time is that everyone is ready to contribute whenever and wherever they can. The next two weeks will be important to us as we get ready to head to Indoor Nationals."
UChicago 6, Lewis 3
1. Nora Mindiyarova (LEWIS) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 6-4, 4-6, 10-2
2. Megan Nguyen (LEWIS) def. Megan Tang (UC) 6-0, 1-6, 6-4
3. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Ana Banic (LEWIS) 6-4, 6-3
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Jill Wetmore (LEWIS) 6-0, 6-1
5. Courtney Warren (UC) def. Jamie Drez (LEWIS) 6-1, 6-0
6. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Kayla Annerino (LEWIS) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ana Banic/Nora Mindiyarova (LEWIS) def. Megan Tang/Ariana Iranpour (UC) 8-6
2. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Megan Nguyen/Jill Wetmore (LEWIS) 8-3
3. Jasmine Lee/Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Drez, Jamie/Annerino, Kayla (LEWIS) 8-0
- Friday-Sunday, February 27-March 1 – UChicago at ITA Indoor Nationals (Greencastle, Ind.)