GREENCASTLE, Ind. – The No. 12-ranked University of Chicago women's tennis team jumped out to a big lead and defeated No. 11-ranked DePauw University 6-3 at day one of the ITA Indoor Nationals on Friday.
The No. 5-seed Maroons improved to 5-2 on the season. The No. 4-seed Tigers fell to 2-2.
UChicago clinched the team victory early by winning five of the first six matches. The Maroons won the top two doubles matchups by identical 8-3 scores. With a 2-1 lead in hand, UChicago rolled off four-straight wins in singles. Freshman Ariana Iranpour and sophomore Tiffany Chen only surrendered one game each in singles wins at No. 1 and No. 4, respectively. Senior Megan Tang (No. 2 singles) and freshman Jasmine Lee (No. 3 singles) both rallied back from one-set deficits to earn three-set victories. Iranpour, Tang and Chen all went 2-0 on the day.
"The win tonight was a very good one for us over a veteran DePauw team that got the better of us twice last year," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "I thought we did a real nice job of putting together a game plan and then going out and executing in doubles and then carried that confidence right through to singles. Tomorrow will be another challenge, but I think if we compete as hard as we did today, we will give ourselves a chance."
UChicago 6, DePauw 3
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Claire Marshall (DEP) 6-0, 6-1
2. Megan Tang (UC) def. Maggie MacPhail (DEP) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Taylor Mahr (DEP) 0-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-3)
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Julie Wittwer (DEP) 6-1, 6-0
5. Kaitlin Pickrel (DEP) def. Courtney Warren (UC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Maddie Lee (DEP) def. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) 7-6 (7-2), 6-5, retired
1. Megan Tang/Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Claire Marshall/Maggie MacPhail (DEP) 8-3
2. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Julie Wittwer/Kaitlin Pickrel (DEP) 8-3
3. Taylor Mahr/Carolyn Huerth (DEP) def. Jasmine Lee/Lucy Tang (UC) 8-6
- Saturday, February 28 – UChicago vs. Johns Hopkins University (ITA Indoor Nationals), 2 PM (ET)