GREENCASTLE, Ind. – The No. 12-ranked University of Chicago women's tennis team went the distance with No. 4-ranked Johns Hopkins University before losing 5-4 at day two of the ITA Indoor Nationals on Saturday.
The No. 5-seed Maroons (5-3) will next take on No. 3-seed Washington University-St. Louis on the third-place match at 10:00 AM (ET) on Sunday. The No. 1-seed Blue Jays (2-0) advance to Sunday's ITA finals.
UChicago's top doubles tandem of senior Megan Tang and freshman Ariana Iranpour outlasted their opposition 9-8. However, Johns Hopkins took the other two doubles matches to come out with a 2-1 lead. In singles play, the Maroons stood out at the top again at No. 1 and 2 singles as Iranpour and Tang handily defeated their opponents. Junior Lucy Tang pulled out a three-set victory at No. 6, but the Blue Jays won the other three matches to split singles down the middle and clinch the match by one.
"Today was a battle of two very good teams that we unfortunately couldn't quite pull out," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We competed extremely well, but didn't quite make enough balls in the matches that we fell short in. In a tournament like this with such quality competition, we need to improve our discipline and our focus under pressure. Fortunately, we get the opportunity to compete again tomorrow against another great opponent in WashU."
Johns Hopkins 5, UChicago 4
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Ashnaa Rao (JHU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Megan Tang (UC) def. Amanda Austi (JHU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sydney Lehman (JHU) def. Jasmine Lee (UC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jody Law (JHU) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Megumi Chen (JHU) def. Courtney Warren (UC) 6-4, 6-0
6. Lucy Tang (UC) def. Stephanie Rettig (JHU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
1. Megan Tang/Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Ashnaa Rao/Shannon Herndon (JHU) 9-8
2. Sydney Lehman/Elaine Baik (JHU) def. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) 8-3
3. Amanda Austi/Olivia Kasten (JHU) def. Jasmine Lee/Lucy Tang (UC) 8-4
- Sunday, March 1 – UChicago vs. Washington University-St. Louis (ITA Indoor Nationals), 10 AM (ET)