GREENCASTLE, Ind. – A fast start keyed the No. 12-ranked University of Chicago women's tennis team's 6-3 victory against No. 8-ranked Washington University-St. Louis in the third-place match of the ITA Division III Women's Team Indoor Championship on Sunday.
The No. 5-seed Maroons improved to 6-3 and dropped the No. 3-seed Bears to 3-2.
Doubles got UChicago off on the right foot with a pair of dominant 8-2 wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. WashU took second doubles and the Maroons went into singles play up a point. The lead became 4-1 with straight-set wins by senior Megan Tang at No. 2 singles and freshman Jasmine Lee at No. 3 singles.
However, the Bears made things interesting and cut the deficit to 4-3. Sophomore Tiffany Chen earned a big tiebreak in the first set and grabbed the clinching match 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 at No. 4 singles. The final team point came from junior Stephanie Lee at No. 6 singles in three sets.
"I'm really proud of the way we competed all weekend and glad it finally paid off in the win column," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We had lost our share of close matches, so it was good to pull this one out, especially after being so close last night against Johns Hopkins. The weekend as a whole was important for us as a younger team to learn exactly what it means to compete, to focus, and to fight. If we keep doing those things, the results will come."
UChicago 6, Washington-St. Louis 3
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 0-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Megan Tang (UC) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Aly Coran (WASHU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Grace Deering (WASHU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
5. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Lucy Tang (UC) 6-3, 7-5
6. Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (12-10)
1. Megan Tang/Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 8-2
2. Hanna Newstadt/Grace Deering (WASHU) def. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) 8-5
3. Jasmine Lee/Lucy Tang (UC) def. Aly Coran/Mindy Borovsky (WASHU) 8-2
- Sunday, March 8 – UChicago at DePauw University, 10 AM (ET)