GREENCASTLE, Ind. – For the second time in a week, the No.9-ranked UChicago women's tennis team faced off with No. 17-ranked DePauw University. However, this time the Tigers came away the winners 5-4 on Sunday.
The Maroons dropped to 6-4 overall and the Tigers improved to 4-4.
At last week's ITA Indoor Nationals, UChicago defeated DePauw 6-3 in the opening round. On Sunday, the host Tigers took a definitive 3-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles spots. UChicago tried to rally back by taking four singles matches, but DePauw's two victories in singles clinched the team win. Freshman Ariana Iranpour and junior Sruthi Ramaswami both won their matches in three sets, while freshman Jasmine Lee and junior Stephanie Lee were victorious in straight sets.
"The story of today was doubles," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We didn't come out with the energy we needed which led to us playing passive, which is a bad combination. We played much harder in singles but we just dug ourselves into a hole that was too deep. We will need to work harder at practice on our focus and effort, understanding it's a habit, not something we can just turn off and on. I think if we do that, we will have a successful trip to LA in two weeks."
DePauw 5, UChicago 4
1. Ariana Iranpour (UCW) def. Claire Marshall (DPUW) 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (10-6)
2. Maggie MacPhail (DPUW) def. Megan Tang (UCW) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jasmine Lee (UCW) def. Taylor Mahr (DPUW) 7-5, 6-2
4. Julie Wittwer (DPUW) def. Tiffany Chen (UCW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Stephanie Lee (UCW) def. Kaitlin Pickrel (DPUW) 6-2, 6-1
6. Sruthi Ramaswami (UCW) def. Maddie Lee (DPUW) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Claire Marshall/Maggie MacPhail (DPUW) def. Megan Tang/Ariana Iranpour (UCW) 8-5
2. Julie Wittwer/Kaitlin Pickrel (DPUW) def. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UCW) 8-5
3. Taylor Mahr/Carolyn Huerth (DPUW) def. Stephanie Lee/Jasmine Lee (UCW) 9-7
- Monday, March 23 – UChicago vs. MIT (Claremont, Calif.), 12 PM (PT)