CLAREMONT, Calif. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team took an early lead but couldn't hold on in singles action in a 5-4 loss at Pomona-Pitzer Colleges on Wednesday.
The No. 13-ranked Maroons evened their season record at 6-6. The No. 8-ranked Sagehens improved to 7-3.
Doubles was closely contested as all three matches were decided by two or three points. UChicago came out ahead with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots from the tandems of freshman Ariana Iranpour/senior Megan Tang and junior Sruthi Ramaswami/junior Lucy Tang.
However, Pomona-Pitzer rallied back by winning four singles matches from spots No. 2-5. The Maroons got singles wins at No. 1 by Iranpour and No. 6 by Ramaswami.
"Today's result was an absolute heartbreaker but it wasn't for a lack of effort," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "This was the hardest I've seen the team compete all year and I'm proud of how far we've come since Monday. We've been on the wrong side of a few 5-4 decisions this year but I know that if we play with the same energy and passion that we did today that our best tennis is still ahead of us and we can still achieve all of our goals."
Pomona-Pitzer 5, UChicago 4
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Lea Lynn Yen (PP) 6-3, 6-0
2. Shivani Doraiswami (PP) def. Megan Tang (UC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Mary Zhao (PP) def. Jasmine Lee (UC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Grace Hruska (PP) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-0, 1-6, 6-2
5. Emily Kuo (PP) def. Stephanie Lee (UC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Marie Fleming (PP) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
1. Ariana Iranpour/Megan Tang (UC) def. Lea Lynn Yen/Grace Hruska (PP) 8-5
2. Shivani Doraiswami/Emily Chen (PP) def. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) 8-6
3. Sruthi Ramaswami/Lucy Tang (UC) def. Mary Zhao/Maddie Gordon (PP) 8-6
- Thursday, Mar. 26 – UChicago vs. Middlebury College (at Claremont, Calif.), 12 PM (PT)