CLAREMONT, Calif. – In its seventh-straight match against a nationally-ranked opponent, the University of Chicago women's tennis team lost to Middlebury College 6-3 on Thursday.
The No. 15-ranked Maroons dropped to 6-7 and the No. 9-ranked Panthers moved to 4-3.
UChicago came out of doubles with a 2-1 lead. The wins came courtesy of the No. 2 (sophomore Tiffany Chen/freshman Courtney Warren) and No. 3 (junior Sruthi Ramaswami/junior Lucy Tang) pairings. However, Middlebury took control in singles and won the top five spots. Lucy Tang won at No. 6 singles for the Maroons with matching 6-4, 6-4 set scores.
"We are starting to realize how important our energy and attitude are in terms of our success both on and off the court," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "The next step for us is to be consistent with it on a daily basis. In doubles, we controlled the energy on the courts and it showed with the two wins. In singles, it was Middlebury who took it to us a bit and controlled the energy and competed very well. Despite the week, we are in good spirits and are looking forward to competing next weekend."
Middlebury 6, UChicago 3
1. Ria Gerger (MC) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 6-1, 1-0, retired
2. Alexandra Fields (MC) def. Megan Tang (UC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Lily Bondy (MC) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Kaysee Orozco (MC) def. Jasmine Lee (UC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Margot Marchese (MC) def. Stephanie Lee (UC) 7-5, 6-1
6. Lucy Tang (UC) def. Katie Paradies (MC) 6-4, 6-4
1. Lily Bondy/Ria Gerger (MC) def. Ariana Iranpour/Megan Tang (UC) 8-3
2. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Kaysee Orozco/Jennifer Sundstrom (MC) 8-2
3. Sruthi Ramaswami/Lucy Tang (UC) def. Lauren Amos/Alexandra Fields (MC) 8-5
- Friday-Saturday, Apr. 3-4 – UChicago at Midwest Invitational (Madison, Wis.)