MADISON, Wis. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team snapped its losing streak with an 8-1 victory over Hope College at day one of the Midwest Invitational on Friday.
The No. 15-ranked Maroons improved to 7-7. The No. 22-ranked Flying Dutch fell to 11-3.
UChicago jumped on Hope in doubles by handily winning all three matches. Singles proved a bit tougher as Hope forced set tiebreakers in three of the matches. However, the Maroons came away with straight-set victories in five out of six matches to get the team victory. The multiple winners in singles and doubles included freshman Ariana Iranpour, senior Megan Tang, sophomore Tiffany Chen, junior Lucy Tang and junior Sruthi Ramaswami.
"Coming out and sweeping a great doubles-playing team in Hope College really set the tone for the day and let us play free in singles," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "Give Hope a ton of credit for making it tough for us when they could have easily mailed it in. We had a great mindset coming into the match and did a great job of maintaining it, even in the biggest moments. We are coming together as a team and playing our best tennis at the right time. We are excited to eat Olive Garden tonight and then wake up and battle a good WashU team tomorrow."
UChicago 8, Hope 1
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Nancy Benda (HOPE) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
2. Megan Tang (UC) def. Claire Cooper (HOPE) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Carli Capestany (HOPE) def. Jasmine Lee (UC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Anna Garcia (HOPE) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lucy Tang (UC) def. Paige Courts (HOPE) 6-3, 6-1
6. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Kate Mader (HOPE) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Ariana Iranpour/Megan Tang (UC) def. Nancy Benda/Carli Capestany (HOPE) 8-4
2. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Kelly Daniel/Claire Cooper (HOPE) 8-3
3. Sruthi Ramaswami/Lucy Tang (UC) def. Marie Holoway/Anna Garcia (HOPE) 8-4
- Saturday, Apr. 4 – UChicago at Midwest Invitational (Madison, Wis.)