ST. LOUIS, Mo. – For the third time this season, the University of Chicago women's tennis team swept all nine matches in a victory over University of Wisconsin-Whitewater on Sunday.
The No. 15-ranked Maroons improved to 10-9 while the No. 28-ranked Warhawks dropped to 18-4.
Doubles action was closely contested at all three spots, but UChicago closed well to win 8-6, 8-5 and 8-6. The No. 1 tandem of senior Megan Tang and freshman Ariana Iranpour came from 6-5 down and won the last three games to take their match.
Four of the six singles contests were won in straight sets by the Maroons. Freshman Jasmine Lee and senior Maggie Schumann went to third-set super tiebreaks before winning at No. 2 and No. 6, respectively. Iranpour, sophomore Tiffany Chen, junior Sruthi Ramaswami and Schumann were all victorious in both singles and doubles play.
"I loved the way we competed and battled all weekend," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We were tired, sick and injured but kept a great attitude the entire time and it paid off. This is a match I'm not sure we would have won a couple months ago, but our mental and physical toughness has improved so much. I'm very proud of this group, especially our newly elected captains Megan, Maggie and Sruthi. They did a great job of leading the way and the others really did their part too. We are peaking at the right time and I think we will only continue to get better."
UChicago 9, Wisconsin-Whitewater 0
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Megan Humphreys (UWW) 6-0, 6-2
2. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Bridgid McGuire (UWW) 3-6, 6-2, 11-9
3. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Jillian Wallace (UWW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Amanda Dick (UWW) 6-0, default
5. Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Alicia Beck (UWW) 6-2, 7-5
6. Maggie Schumann (UC) def. Rachel Siemon (UWW) 6-1, 3-6, 10-7
1. Ariana Iranpour/Megan Tang (UC) def. Megan Humphreys/Bridgid McGuire (UWW) 8-6
2. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Jillian Wallace/Alicia Beck (UWW) 8-5
3. Sruthi Ramaswami/ Maggie Schumann (UC) def. Rachel Siemon/Ashley Miller (UWW) 8-6
- Saturday, April 18 – Wheaton College at UChicago, 12 PM