CHICAGO, Ill. – In the team's final home match of the season, the University of Chicago women's tennis team defeated Wheaton College 8-1 on Saturday.
The No. 15-ranked Maroons improved to 11-9 and the Thunder dropped to 14-6.
It was Senior Day for the Maroons as they recognized the team's three seniors – Kelsey McGillis, Maggie Schumann and Megan Tang. Over their four years on the team, the senior class has a combined record of 64-31 (.674 winning percentage).
UChicago fought through windy conditions and swept doubles to stake itself to a 3-0 lead. Singles went in the home team's favor as well, taking five of the six matches in straight sets. The multiple winners on the day were Tang, freshman Ariana Iranpour and sophomore Tiffany Chen.
"The conditions were tricky today but I thought we played smartly even though it was tough to play our best," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "It was nice to get a chance to honor our seniors for all they've contributed to the team and the University. We don't have a lot of time left with them but we still hope to accomplish a lot in the next few weeks and we know they will lead us to where we want to go, which is back to the NCAA Tournament."
UChicago 8, Wheaton 1
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Julie Buursma (WHEATON) 6-2, 6-3
2. Megan Tang (UC) def. Katie Park (WHEATON) 6-0, 6-2
3. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Lauren Schlabach (WHEATON) 6-1, 6-0
4. Kirstie White (WHEATON) def. Lucy Tang (UC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. Sruthi Ramaswami (UCW) def. Miranda Kay (WHEATON) 6-2, 6-0
6. Stephanie Lee (UCW) def. Erika Nelson (WHEATON) 6-3, 6-3
1. Ariana Iranpour/Megan Tang (UC) def. Julie Buursma/Katie Park (WHEATON) 8-3
2. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Lauren Schlabach/Kirstie White (WHEATON) 8-2
3. Maggie Schumann/ Lucy Tang (UC) def. Miranda Kay/Erika Nelson (WHEATON) 8-5
- Thursday-Saturday, April 23-25 – UChicago at UAA Championship (Altamonte Springs, Fla.)