ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – For the fourth time this season, the University of Chicago women's tennis team faced off with Washington University-St. Louis on Saturday. With third place at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship on the line, Washington-St. Louis defeated UChicago 8-1.
The No. 15-ranked Maroons finished the regular season with a 12-11 overall record and will wait to see if they will earn an at-large selection to the NCAA Division III Championships. The No. 11-ranked Bears improved to 18-5.
UChicago entered as the No. 4-seed in the bracket while WashU was the No. 3-seed. In their previous three meetings this year, the Bears held a 2-1 advantage.
The Maroons led 5-4 at No. 1 doubles before an injury ended the match prematurely and gave WashU the point. The Bears also took the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles spots to grab a 3-0 lead, and they eventually won five of six singles contests as well. Freshman Jasmine Lee provided UChicago's win at No. 2 singles 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 over her No. 8-ranked opponent.
"WashU is a tough team in any scenario, but to lose Ariana [Iranpour] during doubles took some of the wind out of our sails and made a tough match-up tougher," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "That being said, I thought we did a good job of competing and still came out playing to win. Unfortunately, Wash was the better team today. But we are heading back to Chicago knowing we've come a long way since the season started and we hope to get a chance to prove ourselves in the NCAA Tournament."
Washington-St. Louis 8, UChicago 1
1. Rebecca Ho (WU) def. Megan Tang (UC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Jamie Silverberg (WU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
3. Aly Coran (WU) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-4, 6-3
4. Grace Deering (WU) def. Lucy Tang (UC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Hanna Newstadt (WU) def. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Kaylan Griffith (WU) def. Stephanie Lee (UC) 6-2, 6-4
1. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WU) def. Ariana Iranpour/Megan Tang (UC) 4-5, inj. default
2. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WU) def. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) 8-3
3. Aly Coran/Kaylan Griffith (WU) def. Sruthi Ramaswami/Lucy Tang (UC) 8-6