CHICAGO, Ill. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team began postseason play with a 5-0 victory over Augustana College in the second round of the NCAA Division III Championship on Saturday.
The No. 15-ranked Maroons (13-11) will next meet No. 5-ranked Carnegie Mellon University (16-6) in the NCAA Regional Final. The Vikings finished their season at 24-9.
UChicago is serving as the host of the six-team regional and received a first-round bye. Despite shifts throughout the lineup due to injury, the Maroons played at a high level from the start. The home team swept through doubles to put themselves firmly in control. Sophomore Tiffany Chen provided the fourth point at No. 3 singles by winning 6-1, 6-1. Senior Megan Tang then finished off the day with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles. With the clinching fifth point secured, the rest of the matches were abandoned, giving UChicago a 5-0 victory.
UChicago 5, Augustana 0
1. Megan Tang (UC) def. Lauren Goggin (AUG) 6-3, 6-2
2. Jasmine Lee (UC) vs. Dana Goggin (AUG) 2-6, 4-4, unfinished
3. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Mollie Magee (AUG) 6-1, 6-1
4. Lucy Tang (UC) vs. Aileen McDonald (AUG) 6-2, 5-3, unfinished
5. Stephanie Lee (UC) vs. Miranda Pence (AUG) 6-1, 2-2, unfinished
6. Maggie Schumann (UC) vs. Vicki Andonova (AUG) 6-0, 5-1, unfinished
1. Megan Tang/Lucy Tang (UC) def. Dana Goggin/Aileen McDonald (AUG) 8-6
2. Tiffany Chen/Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Lauren Goggin/Mollie Magee (AUG) 8-3
3. Stephanie Lee/Maggie Schumann (UC) def. Miranda Pence/Vicki Andonova (AUG) 8-2
- Sunday, May 10 – Carnegie Mellon University at UChicago (NCAA Regional), 12 PM