CHICAGO – The University of Chicago women's tennis team pulled out a pair of three-set matches and ultimately won all nine of its matches against Lewis University on Saturday.
The No. 10-ranked Maroons improved to 2-0. The NCAA Division II Flyers fell to 0-1.
In its first on-court action since Oct. 3, UChicago showed no real rust. Lewis was able to take the first set at the top two singles spots, but junior Ariana Iranpour and freshman Marjorie Antohi rallied back to emphatically take the second sets with matching 6-1 scores. They then proceeded to a third-set super tiebreak, which the Maroon duo both won.
The other four singles matches were ended in straight sets, and the closest of the three doubles matches featured an 8-6 score at the No. 1 position. Antohi, Iranpour, sophomore Rachel Kim, senior Tiffany Chen, freshman Estefania Navarro and freshman Alyssa Rudin all picked up two victories each.
"This was a really good result against a really tough opponent," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "I'm happy to see us find ways to win tough matches and to close out tight sets. We are a pretty young team so for us to win so many close matches is a great sign."
UChicago 9, Lewis 0
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Dora Andrejszki (LEWIS) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (12-10)
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Nora Mindiyarova (LEWIS) 6-7 (7-9), 6-1, 1-0 (10-2)
3. Rachel Kim (UC) def. Oana Trus (LEWIS) 7-5, 6-2
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Sara Grozdanovic (LEWIS) 6-2, 6-4
5. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Hailey Bruining (LEWIS) 6-2, 6-0
6. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Megan Conlin (LEWIS) 6-2, 6-0
1. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UCW) def. Dora Andrejszki/Nora Mindiyarova (LEWIS) 8-6
2. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Oana Trus/Sara Grozdanovic (LEWIS) 8-4
3. Ariana Iranpour/Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Megan Conlin/Hailey Bruining (LEWIS) 8-3
- Saturday, Feb. 4 @ 10:00 AM – Hope College at UChicago (XS Tennis)