MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team dug itself out of an early hole with stellar singles play to defeat Washington University-St. Louis 5-2 in Sunday's third-place match at the ITA Division III National Team Indoor Championship.
The No. 10-ranked Maroons improved to 9-1 while the No. 11-ranked Bears fell to 3-4.
UChicago was down 2-1 after the conclusion of doubles. Two close matches went into extra points at No. 1 and No. 3, with WashU pulling out the result each time. The No. 2 tandem of senior Tiffany Chen and freshman Alyssa Rudin provided the day's first team point with an 8-5 victory.
The Maroons put the deficit out of their minds and went to work in singles, taking the first set in four out of five matches. Second sets were even more dominant as UChicago swept the No. 2 through No. 5 positions in straights to clinch the team victory, 5-2. Singles wins were provided by freshman Marjorie Antohi (No. 2), sophomore Rachel Kim (No. 3), Chen (No. 4) and freshman Estefania Navarro (No. 5).
This marks the sixth time that UChicago has finished in the top three at ITA Indoors. The squad also took third in 2015 by beating Washington-St. Louis 6-3.
"I'm really proud of the team's composure and fight after some disappointment in doubles," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We held match points at No. 1 and No. 3 but weren't able to convert. It would have been easy to get down on ourselves, but instead we really came out fighting and took the momentum back. This time around when big points presented themselves, we stepped up and took them rather than waiting for our opponents to lose them. Overall, it was a great tournament and we gained some valuable experience heading into the second half of our season."
UChicago 5, Washington-St. Louis 2
1. Rebecca Ho (WUSTL) vs. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Grace Deering (WUSTL) 6-1, 6-2
3. Rachel Kim (UC) def. Kaylan Griffith (WUSTL) 6-1, 6-1
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Brigitte Hodge (WUSTL) 6-4, 6-2
5. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Lisa Chionis (WUSTL) 6-3, 6-1
6. Alyssa Rudin (UC) vs. Sanja Tripathy (WUSTL) 1-0, unfinished
1. Rebecca Ho/Kaylan Griffith (WUSTL) def. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) 9-7
2. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Grace Deering/Lisa Chionis (WUSTL) 8-5
3. Mindy Borovsky/Sanja Tripathy (WUSTL) def. Ariana Iranpour/Estefania Navarro (UC) 10-8
- Monday, Mar. 20 – UChicago vs. TBD (Claremont, Calif.)