CLAREMONT, Calif. – A three-point deficit to start the match proved too big to overcome as the University of Chicago women's tennis team lost to Tufts University 6-3 on Thursday.
The No. 6-ranked Maroons fell to 9-2. The No. 12-ranked Jumbos improved to 4-0.
Tufts took all three doubles points to put UChicago in its first 3-0 hole of the season. The singles matches split evenly from there. The Maroons earned wins at No. 1, No. 3 and No. 6 singles.
Junior Ariana Iranpour and freshman Alyssa Rudin both went the full three sets in their victories. Iranpour took a 6-1 second set to force the third, which she won in a 7-6 tiebreaker. Rudin and her opponent exchanged dominant set wins before Rudin finished off the win 6-3 in the third. Sophomore Rachel Kim came up with big points in a tight match, ultimately winning by the slim margins of 7-6, 7-5.
Tufts 6, UChicago 3
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Lauren Louks (TUF) 5-7, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Mina Karamercan (TUF) def. Marjorie Antohi (UC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Rachel Kim (UC) def. Tomo Iwasaki (TUF) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
4. Katherine Wiley (TUF) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 7-6 (11-9), 6-0
5. Conner Calabro (TUF) def. Estefania Navarro (UC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Julia Keller (TUF) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
1. Lauren Louks/Mina Karamercan (TUF) def. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) 8-6
2. Katherine Wiley/Otilia Popa (TUF) def. Alyssa Rudin/Tiffany Chen (UC) 8-3
3. Conner Calabro/Tomo Iwasaki (TUF) def. Ariana Iranpour/Estefania Navarro (UC) 8-4
- Friday, March 24 @ 9:00 AM (PT) – UChicago vs. Williams (at Claremont, Calif.)