CLAREMONT, Calif. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team concluded its spring break trip with a 6-3 loss to Williams College on Friday.
The No. 6-ranked Maroons fell to 9-3. The No. 2-ranked Ephs improved to 6-2.
The last time the two teams met was in the 2016 NCAA quarterfinals, which Williams won 5-0. The Ephs took a 2-1 lead after doubles, with UChicago's No. 1 tandem of freshman Marjorie Antohi and sophomore Rachel Kim triumphing 8-4.
In singles, Williams captured the first set in all six matches. Antohi battled back at No. 2, winning the second set 6-3 and then a third-set super tiebreak 10-8. Kim grabbed the second set at No. 3 by a 6-4 margin and her opponent retired due to injury to start the third set.
Williams 6, UChicago 3
1. Leah Bush (WILL) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Sydney Myong (WILL) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Rachel Kim (UC) def. Linda Shin (WILL) 5-7, 6-4, retired
4. Hannah Atkinson (WILL) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Mia Gancayco (WILL) def. Estefania Navarro (UC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Julia Cancio (WILL) def. Alyssa Rudin (UC) 6-0, 6-3
1. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) def. Hannah Atkinson/Chloe Henderson (WILL) 8-4
2. Leah Bush/Mia Gancayco (WILL) def. Alyssa Rudin/Tiffany Chen (UC) 8-1
3. Julia Cancio/Emily Zheng (WILL) def. Ariana Iranpour/Estefania Navarro (UC) 8-3
- Friday-Saturday, April 7-8 – UChicago at Midwest Invitational (at Madison, Wis.)