MADISON, Wis. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team opened up day one of the Midwest Invite with matching 8-1 victories over Case Western Reserve University and Augustana College on Friday.
The No. 8-ranked Maroons improved to 11-3. The No. 19-ranked Spartans fell to 12-3 and the Vikings dropped to 20-4.
UChicago began the morning session against fellow University Athletic Association (UAA) member, Case Western Reserve. After doubles play, the Maroons took a 2-1 lead thanks to a pair of 8-5 wins at the second and third spots.
CWR pushed UChicago in singles. The Spartans swept the first set at No. 1 singles 6-0, and had dominating leads of 5-3 at No. 2 and 4-1 at No. 4. However, freshman Marjorie Antohi and senior Tiffany Chen were both able to rally from the deficits to capture their first sets, 7-5. Overall, UChicago took five of the six opening sets.
Freshmen Alyssa Rudin and Estefania Navarro completed their matches first at No. 6 and No. 5, respectively. Three of the remaining four bouts were pushed to third-set super tiebreaks. But in each instance, the Maroons came out on top in the third sets at No. 1 (junior Ariana Iranpour), No. 3 (sophomore Rachel Kim) and No. 4 (Chen).
In the late afternoon, UChicago matched up with Augustana College. The Maroons made quick work of the Vikings with five singles wins in straight sets and a doubles sweep. Iranpour, Rudin and freshman Laura Gutierrez only surrendered a combined four games in their three singles matches. Rudin posted a perfect score of 6-0, 6-0 at No. 5.
"Today was a really solid day for us overall," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We started out with a gritty win against a conference rival that has gotten the best of us a couple times over the years. Then we followed it up with a good win versus Augie and were able to have everyone contribute in meaningful ways. Tomorrow should be another fun challenge as we face WashU for the second time this season."
UChicago 8, Case Western Reserve 1
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Nithya Kanagasegar (CWR) 0-6, 6-1, 10-5
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Jessica Liu (CWR) 7-5, 6-1
3. Rachel Kim (UC) def. Kendal Holladay (CWR) 6-1, 5-7, 10-4
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Nina Cepeda (CWR) 7-5, 5-7, 10-8
5. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Peyton Young (CWR) 6-1, 6-3
6. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Katrin Gurvich (CWR) 6-1, 6-3
1. Nithya Kanagasegar/Jessica Liu (CWR) def. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) 8-6
2. Alyssa Rudin/Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Peyton Young/Kendal Holladay (CWR) 8-5
3. Ariana Iranpour/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Nina Cepeda/Katrin Gurvich (CWR) 8-5
UChicago 8, Augustana 1
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Lauren Goggin (AUG) 6-3, 6-0
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Dana Goggin (AUG) 6-1, 7-5
3. Caitlyn Schaffer (AUG) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-4, 5-7, 10-6
4. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Zeana Badawi (AUG) 7-5, 6-1
5. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Vicki Andonova (AUG) 6-0, 6-0
6. Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Madeline Lombardi (AUG) 6-0, 6-1
1. Estefania Navarro/Rachel Kim (UC) def. Dana Goggin/Caitlyn Schaffer (AUG) 8-5
2. Alyssa Rudin/Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Lauren Goggin/Madeline Lombardi (AUG) 8-1
3. Ariana Iranpour/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Vicki Andonova/Zeana Badawi (AUG) 8-1
- Saturday, April 8 @ 8:00 AM – UChicago vs. Washington-St. Louis (at Midwest Invite / Madison, Wis.)