ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship on Thursday by defeating New York University by a 7-2 margin.
The No. 9-ranked Maroons (15-3 record) will next face off against No. 10-ranked Washington University-St. Louis in Friday's semifinal. The No. 31-ranked Violets fell to 7-4.
Coming into the eight-team UAA tournament, UChicago was awarded the No. 2 seed and NYU was given the No. 7 seed. From the onset of doubles, the Maroons seized control. The No. 1 tandem of freshman Marjorie Antohi and sophomore Rachel Kim shut out their opponents 8-0, while the No. 2 duo of senior Tiffany Chen and freshman Alyssa Rudin nearly equaled the feat at 8-1. Juniors Ariana Iranpour and Courtney Warren completed the sweep 8-5 at the No. 3 position.
Quick singles victories by Rudin at No. 6 and Antohi at No. 2 clinched the match for UChicago early. Antohi won 6-0, 6-2 and Rudin prevailed 6-2, 6-2. Iranpour was the next Maroon winner at No. 1 and Chen closed out the scoring at No. 4.
UChicago 7, NYU 2
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Flyora Shiyanova (NYU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Vanessa Scott (NYU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Rupa Ganesh (NYU) def. Rachel Kim (UC) 6-1, 2-6, 10-5
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Judy Kam (NYU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Laila El Dessouki (NYU) def. Estefania Navarro (UC) 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
6. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Alice McGinty (NYU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) def. Laila El Dessouki/Flyora Shiyanova (NYU) 8-0
2. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Vanessa Scott/Alice McGinty (NYU) 8-1
3. Ariana Iranpour/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Rupa Ganesh/Judy Kam (NYU) 8-5
- Friday, April 21 @ 2:00 PM (ET) – UChicago vs. Washington-St. Louis (at UAA Championship)