ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team went toe-to-toe with Emory University in Saturday's University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship final, and the match stood tied at 4-4. Emory pulled out a win in the last match to break the tie and top UChicago, 5-4.
The No. 9-ranked Maroons concluded the regular season with a 16-4 record. They will be an at-large candidate for the upcoming NCAA Division III Championships. The No. 1-ranked Eagles improved to 13-5.
UChicago made waves early on by capturing two of the three doubles matches. Senior Tiffany Chen and freshman Alyssa Rudin took down their opponents at the No. 2 spot, 8-4. Junior Ariana Iranpour and freshman Laura Gutierrez teamed up at No. 3 and earned an 8-6 victory.
In singles, the Eagles struck back with three-straight wins to take the 4-2 lead. However, UChicago had an answer. Rudin battled back after dropping the first set to win at No. 6 singles by scores of 3-6, 6-3, 6-1. Freshman Marjorie Antohi captured a 7-6 tiebreaker in the first set and then cruised through the second set 6-2 at No. 2 singles to even the team score.
With the UAA Championship on the line, Emory pulled out the win at No. 1 singles in three sets.
"Obviously our goal was to win a championship today and we came up short," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "However, I have nothing but respect and admiration for the way our women competed all weekend and represented the University of Chicago. On paper, Emory was a huge favorite, but our team just doesn't quit and hung with the No. 1 team in the country point for point. We will still have a lot left to play for this season and we're not done yet. We will take a couple of days off and then get right back to work to get better like we always do."
Emory 5, UChicago 4
1. Bridget Harding (EU) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Michelle Satterfield (EU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
3. Daniela Lopez (EU) def. Rachel Kim (UC) 6-4, 6-0
4. Katarina Su (EU) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Melissa Goodman (EU) def. Estefania Navarro (UC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Paula Castro (EU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. Bridget Harding/Katarina Su (EU) def. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) 8-4
2. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Michelle Satterfield/Daniela Lopez (EU) 8-4
3. Ariana Iranpour/Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Paula Castro/Michelle DeMeo (EU) 8-6