CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team battled with Williams College all the way through Monday's NCAA Division III Championship quarterfinal matchup, but ultimately absorbed a 5-3 loss on Monday.
The No. 9-ranked Maroons concluded their season with an 18-5 record. The No. 4-ranked Ephs (18-4) advanced to the semifinals.
UChicago was saddled with the tall task of knocking off a Williams squad that has won nine national team titles since 2001. The Maroons were holding their own early in doubles before rain forced a delay and a relocation indoors.
After doubles, the Ephs held a 2-1 lead. UChicago's first point of the day came from the No. 1 doubles tandem of freshman Marjorie Antohi and sophomore Rachel Kim. They triumphed 8-5 over the two-time defending national doubles champions Juli Raventos and Linda Shin.
In singles play, Williams was on the brink of clinching thanks to wins at the fourth and fifth positions. Down 4-1 in the team score, the Maroons fought back with a pair of victories of their own at No. 2 and No. 3. Antohi raced through her first set 6-1 and pulled out a second-set tiebreaker 7-6 at second singles. Kim also posted a straight-sets win at third singles with matching 6-4, 6-4 scores. However, the Ephs picked up the clinching fifth team point with a win at No. 6 to end the contest.
UChicago's 18 wins were the most by the team since 2013. Junior Ariana Iranpour will next compete in the NCAA national singles draw starting on Thursday.
"This team has fought for each other and competed with grit all year long, and today's match was no different," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We went toe-to-toe with the best team of the last decade and came up just a little bit short. It was an absolute pleasure to coach this group all year and it's sad that it's over. Our seniors left the program better than they found it and have left a great foundation for next year and beyond. We are headed in the right direction and believe next year will be even better."
Williams 5, UChicago 3
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) vs. Juli Raventos (WILL) 6-3, 2-6, 2-0, unfinished
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Leah Bush (WILL) 6-1, 7-6
3. Rachel Kim (UC) def. Hannah Atkinson (WILL) 6-4, 6-4
4. Linda Shin (WILL) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Mia Gancayco (WILL) def. Alyssa Rudin (UC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Julia Cancio (WILL) def. Estefania Navarro (UC) 6-2, 6-3
1. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) def. Juli Raventos/Linda Shin (WILL) 8-5
2. Chloe Henderson/Hannah Atkinson (WILL) def. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) 8-5
3. Julia Cancio/Emily Zheng (WILL) def. Ariana Iranpour/Laura Gutierrez (UC) 8-5
- Thursday, May 25 @ 9:00 AM (ET) – UChicago at NCAA Division III Singles and Doubles Championships (Chattanooga, Tenn.)