CHICAGO – The University of Chicago women's tennis team began its 2017-18 season on a high note Tuesday with a 9-0 home victory over Augustana College on the Stagg Courts.
The Maroons improved to 1-0 and dealt the Vikings (5-1) their first loss.
UChicago swept through doubles quickly with wins of 8-2, 8-1 and 8-1. With the advantage in hand, the home side was up to the task in singles as well with straight-set triumphs at all six spots. Five Maroons earned victories in both singles and doubles on the day – sophomore Marjorie Antohi, freshman Daryn Ellison, freshman Claire Handa, sophomore Alyssa Rudin and freshman Catherine Xu.
"I thought we looked really sharp in doubles today which was encouraging because we've worked so hard on it all week and were also playing a team that has already played five matches this fall," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "Singles wasn't quite as crisp, but we had a bunch of great individual efforts that led to a great collective team effort. I really like what I've seen from this team all week in terms of our preparation and am excited to see what we can do next weekend at ITA Regionals."
UChicago 9, Augustana 0
1. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Caitlyn Schaffer (AUG) 6-4, 6-1
2. Claire Handa (UC) def. Annie Timm (AUG) 6-3, 6-1
3. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Zeana Badawi (AUG) 6-2, 6-2
4. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Maleeha Chowdhury (AUG) 6-3, 6-0
5. Daryn Ellison (UC) def. Morgan Bullen (AUG) 6-1, 6-3
6. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Margaret Chadick (AUG) 6-2, 6-2
1. Marjorie Antohi/Daryn Ellison (UC) def. Madeline Lombardi/Caitlyn Schaffer (AUG) 8-2
2. Alyssa Rudin/Claire Handa (UC) def. Faith Johnson/Zeana Badawi (AUG) 8-1
3. Laura Gutierrez/Catherine Xu (UC) def. Annie Timm/Morgan Bullen (AUG) 8-1
Estefania Navarro/Adrienne Travis (UC) def. Morgan Bullen/Maleeha Chowdhury (AUG) 8-3
Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Faith Johnson (AUG) 6-2, 6-0
Adrienne Travis (UC) def. Leraaen Abbott (AUG) 6-2, 6-1
- Friday-Monday, Sept. 22-25 – UChicago at ITA Central Regional (Oberlin, Ohio)