CHICAGO – In their first matches of 2018, the University of Chicago men's and women's tennis teams both emerged with wins over NCAA Division II opponent Lewis University on Saturday.
On the men's half, the Maroons prevailed over the Flyers 7-2. The hosts went up 2-1 after wins of 8-4 and 8-5 at second and third doubles, respectively. UChicago then cruised through singles play, taking five of six in straight sets. Sophomore Ninan Kumar (No. 5 singles/No. 2 doubles) and first-year Justin Lee (No. 6 singles/No. 3 doubles) were multi winners and only surrendered four singles games combined.
On the women's side, UChicago edged out Lewis 5-4. The Flyers forfeited the No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles positions, but the visitors brought the pressure by winning the other two doubles and two additional singles matches. However, the Maroons got singles victories from first-years Claire Handa (No. 2) and Catherine Xu (No. 3) and sophomore Estefania Navarro (No. 5). Xu pulled out a third-set tiebreaker for the 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (7-3) victory.
"I'm so happy for our women for earning a great 5-4 win in the first match of the spring," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "For a young team like ours to experience pulling out a clutch win really gives us the confidence and belief that we can win close matches and play with anyone. It was definitely a team win, but I was especially proud of Cat for gutting out a 7-6 win in the third set. For a first-year to do what she did is a testament to her toughness and her fight, and will serve her and the team well in the future."
Men: UChicago 7, Lewis 2
1. Alan Braschinsky (LEW) def. Nicolas Chua (UC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
2. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Oskar Lusti (LEW) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Andre Norasith (LEW) 6-3, 6-4
4. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Chandler Stimpert (LEW) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Anton Levitin (LEW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Justin Lee (UC) def. Brendan Peterson (LEW) 6-1, 6-1
1. Alan Braschinsky/Oskar Lusti (LEW) def. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) 8-5
2. Nicolas Chua/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Andre Norasith/Anton Levitin (LEW) 8-4
3. Abhin Sharma/Justin Lee (UC) def. Chandler Stimpert/Brendan Peterson (LEW) 8-5
Women: UChicago 5, Lewis 4
1. Dora Andrejszki (LEW) def. Marjorie Antohi (UC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Claire Handa (UC) def. Nora Mindiyarova (LEW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Oana Trus (LEW) 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Simone Parn (LEW) def. Alyssa Rudin (UC) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
5. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Hailey Bruining (LEW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Laura Gutierrez (UC) won via forfeit
1. Dora Andrejszki/Oana Trus (LEW) def. Marjorie Antohi/Claire Handa (UC) 8-5
2. Nora Mindiyarova/Simone Parn (LEW) def. Alyssa Rudin/Daryn Ellison (UC) 8-4
3. Catherine Xu/Laura Gutierrez (UC) won via forfeit
- Saturday, Feb. 3 @ 1:00 PM – Hope College at UChicago (XS Tennis Village)