CHICAGO – The No. 9-ranked University of Chicago tennis teams did not drop a single set en route to a pair of dominating 9-0 wins against Hope College on Saturday.
The Maroon men improved to 2-0 on the season. Doubles went quickly with wins of 8-0, 8-1 and 8-2. Then in singles play, UChicago did not surrender more than four total games in any of the six matches. Senior Luke Tsai shut out his opponent at No. 2 (6-0, 6-0) while fellow senior Peter Leung triumphed 6-0, 6-1 at No. 6. Senior Nicolas Chua, along with first-years Jeremy Yuan and Justin Lee all picked up multiple wins on the day.
UChicago's women were equally successful, moving to 3-0 on the year. Doubles were swept 8-2, 8-1 and 8-3, then all singles bouts went in favor of the home team. Sophomore Alyssa Rudin captured her No. 5 singles match 6-0, 6-1. Four of her teammates allowed five games or fewer in their matches. Multiple winners on the day included sophomore Marjorie Antohi, first-year Claire Handa, first-year Catherine Xu, sophomore Estefania Navarro, Rudin and sophomore Laura Gutierrez. Hope came in as the No. 21-ranked team in the latest ITA national poll.
"I was really pleased with the way both teams competed today," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "The men stayed focused on playing points the correct way throughout the entire match and gave up very few free points and games. On the women's side, we looked like a completely different team from last week. For them to not drop a set to a nationally-ranked team speaks volumes about their focus and belief in winning the big points and close games. All in all, I think both teams are in a good place heading into our first road trip of the year next weekend."
Men: UChicago 9, Hope 0
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Mark VanderStoep (HOPE) 6-1, 6-1
2. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Danny Kroeze (HOPE) 6-0, 6-0
3. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Michael Kiley (HOPE) 6-2, 6-0
4. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Timothy Roe (HOPE) 6-4, 6-0
5. Justin Lee (UC) def. Carter Smiley (HOPE) 6-3, 6-1
6. Peter Leung (UC) def. Justin Folkert (HOPE) 6-0, 6-1
1. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Carter Smiley/Mark VanderStoep (HOPE) 8-0
2. Nicolas Chua/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Timothy Roe/Michael Kiley (HOPE) 8-1
3. Abhin Sharma/Justin Lee (UC) def. Justin Folkert/Danny Kroeze (HOPE) 8-2
Women: UChicago 9, Hope 0
1. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Amanda Bandrowski (HOPE) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
2. Claire Handa (UC) def. Claire Hallock (HOPE) 6-1, 6-3
3. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Taylor LaBarge (HOPE) 6-0, 6-4
4. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Taylor LaBarge (HOPE) 6-0, 6-4
5. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Bailey Chorney (HOPE) 6-0, 6-1
6. Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Liz Pniewski (HOPE) 6-3, 6-2
1. Antohi/Claire Handa (UC) def. Amanda Bandrowski/Bailey Chorney (HOPE) 8-2
2. Catherine Xu/Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Claire Hallock/Taylor LaBarge (HOPE) 8-1
3. Estefania Navarro/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Liz Pniewski/Natalie Rahrig (HOPE) 8-3
- Friday, Feb. 9 @ 7:00 PM (ET) – UChicago vs. Denison University (at Westlake, Ohio)