WESTLAKE, Ohio – A weekend road trip in Ohio began on a high note as the No. 9-ranked University of Chicago tennis teams secured 9-0 and 8-1 wins against Denison University on Friday night.
The men's match went in favor of the Maroons 8-1. A doubles sweep of 8-6, 8-5 and 8-5 got them off to a good start. Singles played out in pretty close fashion. Denison earned a win at No. 4 and stretched it out to three sets at No. 1, No. 3 and No. 5. However, UChicago held fast in those bouts and came away with the win each time for senior Nicolas Chua, first-year Jeremy Yuan and first-year Alejandro Rodriguez, respectively. Senior Luke Tsai and sophomore Ninan Kumar made quick work of their opponents in straight sets at No. 2 and No. 6, respectively.
In the women's matchup, the Maroons shut out their third opponent in four dual matches. Doubles ended up being a tenser affair. Sophomore Marjorie Antohi and first-year Claire Handa dispatched their opposition at No. 1 doubles, 8-4. But UChicago had to sweat it out more at No. 2 and 3 doubles, eventually emerging with 9-7 and 9-8 victories.
Singles play was much more lopsided as the visitors dropped only one set out of 13 played. Antohi and Handa defeated Denison at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively, by matching 6-2, 6-0 scores. First-year Catherine Xu and sophomores Estefania Navarro, Alyssa Rudin and Laura Gutierrez were also victors in both singles and doubles play.
"This was a good test for both the women and the men," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "Denison has improved since last year and gave us a tough fight across the board. The women seized control of the match with a couple of close wins in doubles and rode that momentum throughout singles. On the men's side, I think it took us a little while to find our fight and settle in. Once we figured that out, Denison wasn't going to give up and roll over because we have a higher ranking. We did a nice job of finishing out some tough sets and matches."
Men: UChicago 8, Denison 1
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Vlad Rotnov (DEN) 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 4-0 (retired)
2. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Jamie McDonald (DEN) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Mitchell Thai (DEN) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-4
4. Kevin Brown (DEN) def. Peter Leung (UC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Danish Siddiquie (DEN) 6-4, 4-6, 10-3
6. Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Patrick McGuigan (DEN) 6-2, 6-0
1. Nicolas Chua/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Kevin Brown/Jamie McDonald (DEN) 8-6
2. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Mitchell Thai/Patrick McGuigan (DEN) 8-5
3. Abhin Sharma/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. Vlad Rotnov/Brian Weisberg (DEN) 8-5
Women: UChicago 9, Denison 0
1. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Lauren Hawley (DEN) 6-2, 6-0
2. Claire Handa (UC) def. Emma Alsup (DEN) 6-2, 6-0
3. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Megan Hickey (DEN) 6-3, 6-2
4. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Madeline Hart (DEN) 6-3, 6-1
5. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Ashley Hammons (DEN) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
6. Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Charlotte Purnode (DEN) 3-6, 6-2, 10-7
1. Marjorie Antohi/Claire Handa (UC) def. Lauren Hawley/Emma Alsup (DEN) 8-4
2. Catherine Xu/Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Megan Hickey/Ashley Hammons (DEN) 9-7
3. Estefania Navarro/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Madeline Hart/Courtney Brown (DEN) 9-8 (9-7)
- Saturday, Feb. 10 @ 3:00 PM / 7:00 PM (ET) – UChicago at Case Western Reserve University