CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – A hard-fought match didn't go the Maroons' way in the University of Chicago women's tennis team's 6-3 loss to sixth-ranked Pomona-Pitzer Saturday in the semifinals of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Indoor Championships.
Ninth-ranked UChicago (9-1) dropped its first dual match of the season to the Sagehens, who improved to 3-0 and advance to Sunday's championship. The Maroons will play for third place against Carnegie Mellon, set for 8:30 a.m. ET Sunday in Chattanooga.
First-year Claire Handa was the lone winner for the Maroons in singles, downing her opponent by 6-4, 6-0 scores, but a few of her teammates had absolute battles in tough losses. First-year Catherine Xu fell in thre sets at No. 3, responding from an opening 7-5 loss to win the second in a tiebreaker, 5-0, before No. 37 Summer Garrison took the match in the third set, winning 6-3.
Doubles proved more successful for the Maroons, as the No. 2 duo of Xu and Daryn Ellison won 8-2 and the No. 3 squad of Estefania Navarro and Rudin were victorious in a gritty affair, taking the tiebreaker 9-0 in an 8-7 win.
"Pomona is a very good, veteran team and we had them in a great fight from start to finish," Maroons Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We're showing tremendous growth across the board and improving a ton every day while learning more about ourselves and what we're capable of.
"Despite the loss, we're in great spirits and already looking forward to taking on a UAA team Sunday morning."
- Sunday, March 4: UChicago vs. Carnegie Mellon, 8:30 a.m. ET (ITA Indoor National Third Place Match at Chattanooga, Tenn.)
#6 POMONA-PITZER 6, #9 UCHICAGO 3
1. Caroline Gasper (PPC) def. Marjorie Antohi (UCW) 6-1, 6-1
2. #4 Claire Handa (UCW) def. Maryann Zhao (PPC) 6-4, 6-0
3. #37 Summer Garrison (PPC) def. Catherine Xu (UCW) 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), 6-3
4. Shivani Doraiswami (PPC) def. Estefania Navarro (UCW) 6-1, 6-3
5. #46 Emily Chen (PPC) def. Alyssa Rudin (UCW) 6-4, 6-3
6. Jacinta Chen (PPC) def. Laura Gutierrez (UCW) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
1. #4 Maryann Zhao/Emily Chen (PPC) def. Marjorie Antohi/Claire Handa (UCW) 8-3
2. Catherine Xu/Daryn Ellison (UCW) def. Shivani Doraiswami/Caroline Gasper (PPC) 8-2
3. Estefania Navarro/Alyssa Rudin (UCW) def. Rebecca Salaway/Jacinta Chen (PPC) 8-7 (11-9)