CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – The No. 9 University of Chicago women's tennis team fell by a score of 5-0 to #10 Carnegie Mellon in Sunday's Intercollegiate Tennis Association third place match.
The Tartans (10-2) swept doubles to take an early 3-0 lead, but the Maroons (9-2) didn't make it easy, as it took a 4-0 tiebreaker to top the No. 1 team of Marjorie Antohi and Claire Handa, and the No. 2 duo of Catherine Xu and Daryn Ellison also lost in a close match, 8-6.
CMU would go on to win at No. 1 and No. 6 singles and the match was called at completion.
"It's definitely a tough loss knowing that we weren't able to play our best, but we have to give credit for Carnegie making things tough for us," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We dug ourselves into some holes and fought hard to get out of them, but against a Top 10 team, that's a tall order.
"Even though we didn't get the win, I really liked how the team continued to battle and never gave in. We'll take the next couple of weeks to get some needed rest and recover from various illnesses and injuries and come back ready for a challenging spring break schedule where we'll look to continue improving as a team to be ready for UAA's and hopefully NCAA's."
#10 CARNEGIE MELLON 5, #9 UCHICAGO 0
1. #34 Cori Sidell (CMUW) def. #14 Marjorie Antohi (UCW) 6-1, 6-3
2. #4 Claire Handa (UCW) vs. #31 Vinaya Rao (CMUW) 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
3. Catherine Xu (UCW) vs. Jamie Vizelman (CMUW) 3-6, 1-3, unfinished
4. Katie Lai (CMUW) def. Estefania Navarro (UCW) 6-1, 0-3, retired
5. Alyssa Rudin (UCW) vs. Melissa Strome (CMUW) 6-7, 1-0, unfinished
6. Laura Gutierrez (UCW) vs. Marina Selenica (CMUW) 2-6, 3-3, unfinished
1. #10 Cori Sidell/Courtney Ollis (CMUW) def. Claire Handa/Marjorie Antohi (UCW) 8-7 (7-4)
2. #5 Vinaya Rao/Melissa Strome (CMUW) def. Catherine Xu/Daryn Ellison (UCW) 8-6
3. Katie Lai/Jamie Vizelman (CMUW) def. Estefania Navarro/Alyssa Rudin (UCW) 8-4
- March 20: UChicago vs. Tufts, 12 PM PT (at Claremont, Calif.)