MADISON, Wis. – For the third-straight year, the University of Chicago women's tennis team claimed the Midwest Invitational title, topping conference rival Washington University – St. Louis by a 6-3 score on Saturday morning.
The No. 10-ranked Maroons improved to 13-3 and dropped the No. 12-ranked Bears to 8-4.
UChicago led 2-1 after doubles with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. While WashU earned team points at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, UChicago came out victorious in the other four matches. Sophomore Marjorie Antohi was pushed to three sets at No. 2, but she came up clutch 10-4 in the third. First-year Claire Handa took her match at No. 1 by scores of 6-1, 6-4. The duo also combined for an 8-5 triumph at No. 1 doubles.
"I was really happy with the team's performance all weekend and especially today in the finals against WashU," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We continue to improve and to maximize our potential, which is always great to see as a coach. Claire and Marjorie continue to lead the way at the top and we are getting great contributions the rest of the way down from different people every match. We're doing a great job of picking each other up and earning great team wins. We don't have much time to enjoy this one because we have a rematch against WashU next Saturday, but we will be ready."
UChicago 6, WashU 3
1. Claire Handa (UC) def. Grace Deering (WU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Ashley Lessen (WU) 6-1, 2-6, 10-4
3. Ally Persky (WU) def. Catherine Xu (UC) 6-4, 6-1
4. Brigitte Hodge (WU) def. Estefania Navarro (UC) 7-6 (7-5), 4-1, retired
5. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Sanjna Tripahty (WU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Libby Jubas (WU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Marjorie Antohi/Claire Handa (UC) def. Grace Deering/Ally Persky (WU) 8-5
2. Lisa Chionis/Sanjna Tripahty (WU) def. Alyssa Rudin/Laura Gutierrez (UC) 8-4
3. Catherine Xu/Daryn Ellison (UC) def. Grace Hederick/Ashley Lessen (WU) 8-4
- Saturday, Apr. 14 @ 2:00 PM – UChicago vs. Washington University - St. Louis (at Whitewater, Wis.)