Altamonte Springs, Fla. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team utilized swift victories from the middle of the lineup to defeat New York University 6-3 in the quarterfinals of the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship on Friday morning.
The Maroons (16-3 record) entered the weekend as the No. 3 seed, while the Violets (9-1) were the sixth seed in the eight-team conference bracket.
The No. 1 doubles combo of sophomore Marjorie Antohi and first-year Claire Handa blasted through their opposition by an 8-1 margin. The team score moved to 2-1 after doubles thanks to an 8-5 win from the No. 3 tandem of sophomores Alyssa Rudin and Estefania Navarro.
UChicago quickly clinched the winning team point at 5-1 thanks to a trio of dominant straight-set wins at the third through fifth spots, courtesy of first-year Catherine Xu, Navarro and Rudin, respectively. The last two matches went to third-set super tiebreaks, with Antohi edging out her No. 2 opponent 7-6, 4-6, 13-11.
UChicago 6, NYU 3
1. Anna Maria Buraya (NYU) def. Claire Handa (UC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Coco Kulle (NYU) 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 13-11
3. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Flyora Shiyanova (NYU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Rupa Ganesh (NYU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Vanessa Scott (NYU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Judy Kam (NYU) def. Laura Gutierrez (UC) 6-4, 0-6, 10-8
1. Marjorie Antohi/Claire Handa (UC) def. Flyora Shiyanova/Vanessa Scott (NYU) 8-1
2. Anna Maria Buraya/Coco Kulle (NYU) def. Catherine Xu/Daryn Ellison (UC) 8-4
3. Alyssa Rudin/Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Judy Kam/Rupa Ganesh (NYU) 8-5
- Saturday, April 28 @ 2:00 PM (ET) – UChicago vs. Carnegie Mellon University (at Altamonte Springs, Fla.)