Altamonte Springs, Fla. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team capped its weekend action with a runner-up finish at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship on Sunday, falling to Emory University 7-2.
The conclusion of the three-day tournament saw the Maroons (17-4 record) reach the final as the No. 3 seed against the top-seeded Eagles (13-4). Emory took the top two doubles positions, with UChicago's No. 3 duo of sophomores Alyssa Rudin and Estefania Navarro winning their match 8-6.
The Maroons also received a victory at No. 2 singles from Marjorie Antohi. The sophomore dispatched her opponent by a 6-4, 6-3 score line.
UChicago placed second at UAAs for the second-straight season and third time in program history.
"We had an outstanding weekend of competition and today was no different," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We played incredibly hard, but it wasn't enough against a very deep and experienced Emory team. I feel like this was a match that Emory won, not one that we lost. Overall, I'm extremely proud of our fight and we're really looking forward to continuing our season at NCAAs in a couple of weeks."
The NCAA postseason team bracket is set to be released on Monday, May 7. The Maroons will be a Pool C at-large candidate for the field.
Emory 7, UChicago 2
1. Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico (EMORY) def. Claire Handa (UC) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Bridget Harding (EMORY) 6-4, 6-3
3. Daniela Lopez (EMORY) def. Catherine Xu (UC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Anna Fuhr (EMORY) def. Estefania Navarro (UC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Defne Olcay (EMORY) def. Alyssa Rudin (UC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Stephanie Taylor (EMORY) def. Laura Gutierrez (UC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico/Bridget Harding (EMORY) def. Marjorie Antohi/Claire Handa (UC) 8-4
2. Anna Fuhr/Stephanie Taylor (EMORY) def. Catherine Xu/Daryn Ellison (UC) 8-4
3. Alyssa Rudin/Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Daniela Lopez/Katie Chang (EMORY) 8-6