WHITEWATER, Wis. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team needed a mere 90 minutes to dispatch Grinnell College 5-0 in the second round of the NCAA Division III Championship on Saturday afternoon.
The No. 10-ranked Maroons improved to 18-4. The Pioneers ended their season at 20-5.
Doubles proved to be a swift affair. UChicago blazed through the competition with winning scores of 8-1, 8-2 and 8-1. It marked the eighth time this season that the team has swept doubles.
Once singles commenced, the Maroons remained on top of their game. Out of the six first sets that UChicago won, five of them featured one or zero games surrendered.
Sophomore Marjorie Antohi provided the double bagel at No. 2 singles with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout. The match clincher came courtesy of sophomore Estefania Navarro, who was similarly dominant at No. 4 singles with scores of 6-1, 6-0. The fifth team point ended the match – which was played to decision – with UChicago leading on all six courts.
The Maroons will seek their eighth all-time berth in the NCAA quarterfinals, as they take on host University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at Noon on Sunday in the regional final.
UChicago 5, Grinnell 0
1. Claire Handa (UC) vs. Milica Cvrkota (GRIN) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Ali Hickey (GRIN) 6-0, 6-0
3. Catherine Xu (UC) vs. Abby Nielsen (GRIN) 6-1, 1-0, unfinished
4. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Anushka Joshi (GRIN) 6-1, 6-0
5. Alyssa Rudin (UC) vs. Brenda Guan (GRIN) 6-3, 2-0, unfinished
6. Laura Gutierrez (UC) vs. Sydney Banach (GRIN) 6-1, 3-1, unfinished
1. Claire Handa/Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Milica Cvrkota/Abby Nielsen (GRIN) 8-1
2. Catherine Xu/Daryn Ellison (UC) def. Ali Hickey/Anushka Joshi (GRIN) 8-2
3. Estefania Navarro/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Sydney Banach/Brenda Guan (GRIN) 8-1
- Sunday, May 13 @ Noon – UChicago at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater