GREENCASTLE, Ind. – In their first road matches of 2019, the University of Chicago tennis teams scored a pair of dominating 9-0 and 8-1 wins at DePauw University on Friday.
The No. 3-ranked Maroon men improved to 4-0 and the No. 10-ranked Maroon women moved to 3-0.
On the men's half, UChicago found its doubles rhythm with a clean sweep of similar scores – 8-3, 8-4, 8-4. Singles play unfolded in a very similar manner, with five straight-set wins out of the six bouts. Four of the W's saw the Maroons limit the Tigers to four games or fewer. Multi winners on the day included sophomore Jeremy Yuan, junior Erik Kerrigan and senior Charlie Pei.
The Maroon women were forced to alter their usual lineup a bit, but did not miss a beat in the result column. DePauw kept things close at No. 3 doubles before falling 8-6. The No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches were won 8-3 and 8-4, respectively.
In singles, UChicago held sway by capturing all six matches. Junior Marjorie Antohi provided the most dominant display with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 1 singles. First-year Lainey Axell was close behind (6-1, 6-1) at No. 6 singles. First-year Eugenia Lee rallied back for a three-set triumph at No. 3 singles as well. Five players finished with multiple victories – Antohi, sophomore Catherine Xu, Lee, first-year Nicole Semenov and first-year Annika Pandey.
"Both teams showed some real physical and mental toughness today despite some tough pre-match conditions," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "They didn't let a four-hour van ride, short warm-up and last-minute lineup changes affect their play or the way they competed. The women had a slow start but once they settled in, they just improved as the match went on and imposed their will on a notoriously tough DePauw doubles lineup.
"On the men's side, we came out swinging and never let up, which was something we've been talking a lot about the last few weeks. Tomorrow will be another tough test and one we are very much looking forward to."
MEN: UChicago 8, DePauw 1
1. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Greg Frauenheim (DEP) 6-0, 6-3
2. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Bryce McClanahan (DEP) 7-5, 6-3
3. Wyatt Metzger (DEP) def. Shramay Dhawan (UC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Alex Bertolini (DEP) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Billy Louiselle (DEP) 6-1, 6-2
6. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Alex Pintilie (DEP) 6-1, 6-1
1. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Greg Frauenheim/Bryce McClanahan (DEP) 8-3
2. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Wyatt Metzger/Billy Louiselle (DEP) 8-4
3. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UC) def. Alex Bertolini/Will Sultan (DEP) 8-4
WOMEN: UChicago 9, DePauw 0
1. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Colleen Morris (DEP) 6-0, 6-0
2. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Emma Love (DEP) 6-2, 6-1
3. Eugenia Lee (UC) def. Megan Galle (DEP) 1-6, 7-6 (7-2), 10-6
4. Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Amanda Showalter (DEP) 6-3, 6-0
5. Annika Pandey (UC) def. Sarah Wilder (DEP) 6-4, 6-2
6. Lainey Axell (UC) def. Erin Friedrich (DEP) 6-1, 6-1
1. Eugenia Lee/Catherine Xu (UC) def. Megan Galle/Sarah Wilder (DEP) 8-4
2. Annika Pandey/Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Colleen Morris/Emma Love (DEP) 8-3
3. Marjorie Antohi/Alexandra Zhang (UC) def. Amanda Showalter/Erin Friedrich (DEP) 8-6
- Saturday, Feb. 9 @ 4:00 PM (ET) – UChicago vs. Denison University (at Indianapolis, Ind.)