NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The tenth-ranked University of Chicago women's tennis team rolled to an 8-1 victory over No. 9-ranked Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the quarterfinals of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III Women's Indoor Team National Championships on Friday morning.
UChicago's season record improved to 6-0 as MIT dropped to 1-1.
The Maroons led 2-1 after capturing No. 1 and No. 2 doubles before sweeping the singles session for an emphatic winning margin. In the third and sixth spots, first-years Lauren Park and Annika Pandey earned 7-5 second-set decisions to claim victory. At No. 1 and No. 4, junior Marjorie Antohi and first-year Eugenia Lee rallied from second-set defeats with 10-4 wins in the third-set super tiebreaks. Sophomore Catherine Xu dominated her No. 2 match 6-2, 6-1, while first-year Nicole Semenov's opponent defaulted in the second set to end the bout at No. 5.
With the win over the fourth-seeded Engineers, the fifth-seeded Maroons earned a Saturday morning semifinal berth against top-seeded Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, who defeated Washington University - St. Louis later in the day.
"This was the most complete match we've played as a team as far back as I can remember," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "Doubles was a giant rush of energy and then that wave only gained more momentum once singles started. We competed at each spot, without fail, and that was the difference in the match. MIT is a great team who had gotten the best of us the past few years, so we're thrilled to get a little revenge this time. We will need to step it up another notch or seven tomorrow for the defending national champions."
UChicago 8. MIT 1
1. Marjorie Antohi (UCW) def. Libby Rickeman (MIT) 6-0, 6-7, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Catherine Xu (UCW) def. Marina Zhang (MIT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Lauren Park (UCW) def. Ashley Teng (MIT) 6-4, 7-5
4. Eugenia Lee (UCW) def. Lara Rakocevic (MIT) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Nicole Semenov (UCW) def. Amber Shen (MIT) 6-1, 2-1, default
6. Annika Pandey (UCW) def. Megan Guenther (MIT) 6-0, 7-5
1. Catherine Xu/Eugenia Lee (UCW) def. Libby Rickeman/Lara Rakocevic (MIT) 8-3
2. Marjorie Antohi/Lauren Park (UCW) def. Marina Zhang/Megan Guenther (MIT) 8-5
3. Amber Shen/Ashley Teng (MIT) def. Nicole Semenov/Annika Pandey (UCW) 8-6
- Saturday, Mar. 2 @ 9:00 AM - UChicago vs. Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (at Nashville, Tenn.)