NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team held its ground against top-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps but ultimately fell in a 7-2 setback in Saturday's Intercollegiate Indoor National Championship semifinals.
First-years Nicole Semenov (No. 5 singles) and Annika Pandey (No. 6 singles) each pulled off gritty, three-set victories against their opponents to give two points to the No. 10 Maroons (6-1), but the No. 1 Athenas (7-0) proved too tough in racing out to a 5-0 lead early.
Sophomore Catherine Xu put up a fight at No. 2 singles before sustaining a 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-0) loss in the Set 3 tiebreaker, and junior Marjorie Antohi lost a tight, 7-6 opening set in her No. 1 singles contest.
The Maroons aren't finished at ITAs just yet, as they will take on No. 8 Pomona-Pitzer in the third-place match Sunday morning.
CMS advances to the ITA title match to take on Emory, a 9-0 winner over Pomona-Pitzer.
#1 CLAREMONT-MUDD SCRIPPS 7, #10 UCHICAGO 2
1. Catherine Allen (CMS) def. Marjorie Antohi, 7-6, 6-0
2. Nicole Tan (CMS) def. Catherine Xu, 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-0)
3. Rebecca Berger (CMS) def. Lauren Park, 6-2, 6-1
4. Sydney Lee (CMS) def. Eugenia Lee, 6-4, 6-2
5. Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Caroline Cox, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
6. Annika Pandey (UC) def. Sarah Bahsoun (CMS), 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Catherine Allen/Caroline Cox (CMS) def. Catherine Xu/Eugenia Lee, 8-1
2. Nicole Tan/ Sarah Bahsoun (CMS) def. Marjorie Antohi/Lauren Park, 8-5
3. Rebecca Berger/Shea (CMS) def. Nicole Semenov/Anika Pandey, 8-2
- Sunday, March 3: UChicago vs. Pomona-Pitzer (ITA Third Place Match) at Nashville, Tenn., 7 a.m. CT