NASHVILLE, Tenn. – In a bout that went down to the wire, the University of Chicago women's tennis team dropped a 5-4 decision to Pomona-Pitzer in the third-place match of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III Women's Indoor Team National Championships on Sunday morning.
The No. 10-ranked Maroons fell to 6-2 while the No. 8-ranked Sagehens improved to 4-2.
Singles was split down the middle, with the Sagehens taking the top three spots and the Maroons capturing the bottom three. First-years Eugenia Lee and Nicole Semenov each ran through their matches in straight sets at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively. First-year Annika Pandey rallied from one set down to win 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 6.
"I thought we had a fantastic weekend as a team," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We had the opportunity to play three top-10 teams over three days, get a big win, and push two other teams to the very end. As a young team, these type of matches are exactly what we need: playing good teams on a big stage. I think we will continue to learn how to close out games, sets and matches as the year goes on and start seeing even better results as we gain confidence and belief in ourselves."
Pomona-Pitzer 5, UChicago 4
1. Caroline Casper (PPC) def. Marjorie Antohi (UCW) 7-5, 7-5
2. Maria Lyven (PPC) def. Catherine Xu (UCW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Arianna Chen (PPC) def. Lauren Park (UCW) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Eugenia Lee (UCW) def. Margherita Andreassi (PPC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Nicole Semenov (UCW) def. Rebecca Salaway (PPC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Annika Pandey (UCW) def. Lucy Jiang (PPC) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
1. Maria Lyven/Margherita Andreassi (PPC) def. Catherine Xu/Eugenia Lee (UCW) 8-5
2. Marjorie Antohi/Lauren Park (UCW) def. Arianna Chen/Jacinta Chen (PPC) 8-4
3. Caroline Casper/Jay Kim (PPC) def. Nicole Semenov/Annika Pandey (UCW) 8-6
- Thursday, Mar. 28 @ 9:00 AM (PT) – UChicago vs. Williams College (at Claremont, Calif.)