CLAREMONT, Calif. – A three-match deficit after doubles proved to be too much to overcome in the No. 9-ranked University of Chicago women's tennis team's opening match in California, where the Maroons fell to eighth-ranked Williams, 7-2 Thursday at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
Maroons' junior Marjorie Antohi and first-year Lauren Park each battled to win their respective second sets, but would eventually fall in three-set contests at No. 1 and 3 singles. Also worth noting was the tightness of the No. 3 doubles match featuring Semenov and classmate Annika Pandey, who lost in the tiebreaker in an 8-7 setback.
"The women competed well, but we dug ourselves into too many holes early in matches, which made our margin of error just too small to beat a veteran team like Williams," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "I think this will be a good learning experience for us and will prepare us for tomorrow's match with CMS, along with the rest of our schedule."
#8 WILLIAMS 7, #9 UCHICAGO 2
1. Leah Bush (W) def. Marjorie Antohi, 6-0, 3-6, 7-5
2. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Chloe Henderson, 6-2, 6-0
3. Korina Neveux (W) def. Lauren Park, 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
4. Emily Zheng (W) def. Eugenia Lee, 6-1, 6-1
5. Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Julia Pham, 6-0, 6-0
6. Maxine Ng (W) def. Annika Pandey, 6-2, 6-0
1. Bush/Pham (W) def. Xu/Lee, 8-3
2. Neveux/Zheng (W) def. Park/Antohi, 8-4
3. Henderson/Ng (W) def. Semenov/Pandey, 8-7 (2)
- Friday, March 29: #9 UChicago at #2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, 9 A.M. PDT