MADISON, Wis. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team won its fourth-straight Midwest Invitational by a 6-3 score against Kenyon College on Saturday.
The No. 9-ranked Maroons improved to 9-4 and the No. 11-ranked Ladies fell to 12-3.
Doubles saw UChicago jump out to a 2-1 edge, winning at No. 2 and No. 3 by matching 8-2 margins. When singles rolled around, Kenyon pulled out two close wins at No. 1 and No. 2. But the Maroons held sway in the rest of the lineup with four victories. First-year Eugenia Lee took a third-set tiebreaker at No. 4, while first-year Annika Pandey rolled at No. 6 by scores of 6-1, 6-1. First-years Lauren Park and Nicole Semenov both earned singles and doubles wins.
"We really came to play today and were able to take control of matches early on before taking some tough body blows from Kenyon later in the match," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We did a great job of keeping our composure and doing some problem solving when things got tough which helped us close things out."
UChicago 6, Kenyon 3
1. Erika Oku (KEN) def. Marjorie Antohi (UC) 4-6, 7-5, 13-11
2. Daria Beshentseva (KEN) def. Catherine Xu (UC) 7-5, 6-4
3. Lauren Park (UC) def. Ilana Blackwood (KEN) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
4. Eugenia Lee (UC) def. Maggie Sweeney (KEN) 6-1, 3-6, 10-8
5. Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Kayla Pukys (KEN) 6-2, 7-5
6. Annika Pandey (UC) def. Annie Reiner (KEN) 6-1, 6-1
1. Erika Oku/Maggie Sweeney (KEN) def. Catherine Xu/Eugenia Lee (UC) 8-6
2. Marjorie Antohi/Lauren Park (UC) def. Daria Beshentseva/Ilana Blackwood (KEN) 8-2
3. Lainey Axell/Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Annie Reiner/Kayla Pukys (KEN) 8-2
- Saturday, April 13 @ 3:30 PM – Case Western Reserve University at UChicago