CHICAGO – The University of Chicago women's tennis team flexed its muscles in singles play en route to a 9-0 sweep of Case Western Reserve University on Saturday night.
The No. 11-ranked Maroons improved to 10-4, while the No. 33-ranked Spartans fell to 7-9.
Doubles played out in a close fashion, with CWRU pushing UChicago before the Maroons came away with 8-6 and 8-7 wins at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively. The No. 3 tandem of first-years Lainey Axell and Nicole Semenov raced through their match, 8-1.
The momentum continued in singles with five straight-set victories. UChicago won all six singles bouts for the fifth time this season. First-year Lauren Park led the way with a dominating showing at No. 3, only surrendering one game (6-1, 6-0). Semenov was similarly successful at No. 5 with scores of 6-1, 6-1.
UChicago 9, Case Western Reserve 0
1. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Madeleine Paolucci (CWR) 2-6, 7-5, 10-5
2. Catherine Xu (UC) def. Nicole Cardwell (CWR) 6-2, 7-5
3. Lauren Park (UC) def. Mira Amin (CWR) 6-1, 6-0
4. Eugenia Lee (UC) def. Sneha Karnam (CWR) 6-4, 6-0
5. Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Shreyaa Mukund (CWR) 6-1, 6-1
6. Annika Pandey (UC) def. Nidhi Jha (CWR) 6-4, 6-3
1. Catherine Xu/Eugenia Lee (UC) def. Madeleine Paolucci/Nicole Cardwell (CWR) 8-6
2. Marjorie Antohi/Lauren Park (UC) def. Sneha Karnam/Shreyaa Mukund (CWR) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Lainey Axell/Nicole Semenov (UC) def. Mira Amin/Nidhi Jha (CWR) 8-1
- Sunday, April 14 @ 10:00 AM – Washington University – St. Louis vs. UChicago (at Flossmoor, Ill.)