CHICAGO — The University of Chicago women's tennis team will travel to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater for a seven-team NCAA Division III Championship Regional this weekend. The Maroons will play their opening match on Saturday afternoon after a first-round bye, with the opportunity to advance to the regional final on Sunday.
Friday, May 10
- Match 1 – University of Wisconsin-Whitewater vs. College of St. Scholastica, 10:00 AM
- Match 2 – Carleton College vs. Edgewood College, 1:00 PM
- Match 3 – Lake Forest College vs. Luther College, 4:00 PM
Saturday, May 11
- Match 4 – Match 1 Winner vs. Match 2 Winner, 10:00 AM
- Match 5 – University of Chicago vs. Match 3 Winner, 2:00 PM
Sunday, May 12
- Match 6 – Regional Championship, 12:00 PM
#12 UChicago Maroons
- Season Record: 14-5 overall / 2-1 University Athletic Association (UAA)
- NCAA Appearances: 12
- Last NCAA Appearance: Reached NCAA Quarterfinals (2018)
- Notes: The Maroons received an at-large bid after a strong showing in the UAA Championship, downing No. 18 Washington University-St. Louis and No. 8 Brandeis University before coming up just a few points shy of an upset against top-ranked Emory University in the final … It was the third-straight season UChicago earned conference runner-up honors… UChicago has qualified for the NCAA tournament in 11-consecutive seasons, advancing to the quarterfinals eight times and the semifinals five times… The Maroons are 9-5 against nationally-ranked opponents this year… At the top of the singles lineup, junior Marjorie Antohi has compiled a 16-7 record… The first-year duo of Nicole Semenov and Lauren Park have won all five of their matches at No. 3 doubles, including a string of three during the conference tournament… Semenov and fellow first-year Annika Pandey have provided depth to the squad in singles, with the Maroons racking up a 31-5 record in the fifth and sixth spots they often occupy.
#27 Carleton Knights
- Season Record: 18-2 overall / 10-0 Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC)
- NCAA Appearances: 7
- Last NCAA Appearance: Reached NCAA Second Round (2014)
- Notes: The Knights captured the MIAC regular season title with an unbeaten record that included wins over ranked opponents Bethel University and Gustavus Adolphus College … Carleton secured an NCAA bid with two more victories in MIAC playoffs … The Knights have dominated in the top four singles spots, dropping just 11 matches combined while compiling 57 wins … The No. 1 doubles pairing of senior Kristina Conrad and junior Madeline Prins boasts a 19-5 record and a 2-0 mark against nationally-ranked opponents … The Knights are ranked fifth in the Central Region.
- Season Record: 21-7 overall / 10-0 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC)
- NCAA Appearances: 7
- Last NCAA Appearance: Reached NCAA First Round (2015)
- Notes: The Eagles clinched their tournament berth after defeating Concordia University (Wis.) in the NACC Tournament to cap an undefeated conference season … Edgewood relies on its depth, with a .775 winning percentage in the bottom three singles spots … Freshman Kai Heineman anchors the middle of the lineup at No. 3 with a 23-5 singles record … Heineman and junior Alicia Picard posted a 15-6 mark at No. 2 doubles, while the top duo of seniors Jaclyn Swift and Marissa Wilson went 14-2 with five wins in five conference matches … During the regular season, Edgewood faced three other regional qualifiers, losing 9-0 to Lake Forest and Wisconsin-Whitewater and 5-4 against Luther.
Lake Forest Foresters
- Season Record: 21-3 overall / 9-0 Midwest Conference (MWC)
- NCAA Appearances: 1
- Last NCAA Appearance: First appearance (2019)
- Notes: After an unbeaten fall campaign for the MWC championship, the Foresters followed up with a conference tournament title in the spring to earn the first NCAA postseason bid in program history … Lake Forest is ranked 13th in the Central Region … At the MWC Individual Tournament in October, the Foresters swept the doubles category and captured five of six singles championships … Sophomore Emma Wang has compiled a perfect 24-0 singles record, mostly in the fourth and fifth spots … The No. 2 doubles combo of sophomore Tyranny Miller and senior Allison Watts owns a 26-3 season mark.
- Season Record: 15-9 overall / 7-1 American Rivers Conference (ARC)
- NCAA Appearances: 14
- Last NCAA Appearance: Reached Second Round (2011)
- Notes: The Norse avenged their lone conference loss against Wartburg College in the ARC Automatic Qualifier final to book their postseason place … Freshman Shelby Cook led the squad in singles winning percentage with a 20-7 record, mostly at No. 3 … Sophomore Devon Bourget and junior Kelsey Kruse hold a team-best 15-6 record at No. 2 doubles… Luther has already met three of the regional qualifiers this season, defeating Edgewood 5-4 but falling by the same margin to St. Scholastica and suffering a 9-0 defeat against Carleton.
St. Scholastica Saints
- Season Record: 17-6 overall / 7-0 Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (UMAC)
- NCAA Appearances: 8
- Last NCAA Appearance: Reached NCAA First Round (2018)
- Notes: The Saints captured their third UMAC tournament championship in as many years to earn their fifth-consecutive NCAA tournament bid … It was the 20th conference title in program history … CSS met the University of Northwestern (Minn.) Eagles in the UMAC tournament final for the eighth time in-a-row, claiming an 8-1 victory … Five Saints were named to the All-UMAC Team … Sara Wennerstrand compiled a 15-8 record at No. 1 singles as a graduate transfer after playing four seasons of softball at the College of St. Benedict … Wennestrand and fellow All-UMAC honoree Katelyn Rice, a senior who paced the squad with an 18-4 singles mark, paired up for a 13-4 doubles record … St. Scholastica fell to Gustavus Adolphus 5-0 in the first round of the NCAA tournament last year.
#36 Wisconsin-Whitewater Warhawks
- Season Record: 12-11 overall / 6-0 Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC)
- NCAA Appearances: 12
- Last NCAA Appearance: Reached NCAA Third Round (2017)
- Notes: The Warhawks earned their 12th-consecutive trip to the NCAA tournament after 5-0 and 5-1 victories at the WIAC tournament … UW-Whitewater played a tough regular season slate that included six non-conference matches against nationally-ranked opponents and a pair of contests against Division I programs. The Warhawks picked up one win from those eight matches, a 5-4 result over then-undefeated TCNJ … UW-Whitewater is ranked 10th in the Central Region … Senior captain Gabi Kitchell leads the way with a 23-5 mark at No. 1 singles … In 2018, UW-Whitewater beat Concordia (Wis.) and Gustavus Adolphus to reach the regional final before falling 5-0 to UChicago … The Warhawks have lost to UChicago in the NCAA Third Round on four occasions since 2012.